Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microphone Drivers Problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 phoxxtwo

phoxxtwo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

I recently built my first PC I did a lot of research on what parts to get as well as got advice from coworkers that have built computers in the past. The build went smooth and the computer works great so far except I am having one issue. I use a Blue Snowball USB Microphone for audio recordings, and when I plug the microphone in the drivers fail to install for some reason. I am using the same Operating System as my old PC (Windows 7 Professional 64 bit). Any suggestions or help on what steps I can take to get this resolved would be much appreciated cause I am lost right now. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

Snowball microphones do not require drivers to function. They are simply plug and play.

Here is a snippet from their website:

Snowball is plug-and-play and does not require drivers. No, not even for Windows 8.

• Under START MENU open Control Panel, then select Hardware/Sound.
  • On Hardware/Sound page click Sound, then choose Recording tab.
  • Insure that the Blue mic selected as the Default input device.
  • Set your volume in the Levels menu.

Snowballs manufactured after July, 2007 (with serial numbers higher than 76-065000) are Windows 8, Windows 7 and Vista compatible. Snowballs with numbers lower than this are not Windows 8, Windows 7 or Vista compatible.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 phoxxtwo

phoxxtwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

Right but when I plug the microphone into the USB port in the bottom right of my screen I get a notification saying that the drivers are installing and then it fails. I have looked in the control panel and there is no microphone listed in either the connected or disconnected devices. I know the mic works because I used it on the same operating system many times on my old computer. 

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

Have you tried different usb ports to see if it makes any difference?

#5 phoxxtwo

phoxxtwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:43 PM

Yes I have tried multiple USB ports one on the front of the tower and the other on the rear of the tower. I am just completely baffled because the device was so simple when I used it on my old PC, granted that was a store bought machine and this was custom built.

#6 phoxxtwo

phoxxtwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:59 PM

I have been doing a lot of searching for a solution online and I think there may be a compatibility issue with USB 3.0 ports I am unsure if I have been trying it in a 3.0 or 2.0 port right now. When I get home I am going to switch things around and try it again on a 2.0 port. Wish me luck, I will update. 

#7 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:50 PM

What is the make of your motherboard? You may need to install usb driver updates.

USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0 devices, so if you plug it into a 3.0 slot it will still work, you just won't benefit from the 3.0 speed.

#8 phoxxtwo

phoxxtwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:53 PM

I have an MSI Z87-GD65 LGA 1150 ATX Motherboard

#9 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

I would go here -> http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z87-GD65-GAMING.html#download

Download the Intel USB 3.0 driver and the Intel Chipset driver.

After installation, post back the results if it fixed or didn't fix the problem and we can go from there.

Also, are you running the newest BIOS V 1.6? If not, I would update the bios to the newest version as well.

Edited by chrisd87, 07 November 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#10 phoxxtwo

phoxxtwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

Ok great I am off of work in one hour I will do this as soon as I get home and post the results. I greatly appreciate your assistance. Also I updated the other hardware of the PC within my profile in case any of that makes a difference.

#11 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

You are welcome for the assistance, that's what we're all here for.

I don't know how many people look at profiles for information, but it's a good place to start providing the user has updated information.

On a side note, you have a nice rig that you built. I love the Haswell I7's

Edited by chrisd87, 07 November 2013 - 03:03 PM.

#12 phoxxtwo

phoxxtwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

You sir are a genius, I updated the USB 3.0 drivers for the motherboard, restarted the PC, plugged in the Mic and BANG the drivers installed perfectly. I really appreciate the help. 

#13 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

You are most certainly welcome. Glad I could help you and happy computing! :busy:

#14 phoxxtwo

phoxxtwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

I am still experiencing some intermittent issues with the microphone. When I go to manage audio devices it often does not pop up on the list of recording devices. Not really sure what is going on. Sometimes I can unplug the mic and plug it back in and then it works fine but right now it is giving me a fit. I still see the Blue Snowball mic listed in the device manager and it says that it is working properly but obviously that is not the case. Any advice on the next step I should take next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users