Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo search bar takeover - no solutions found

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jadenemayla

jadenemayla

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

Hello,

I have been searching forums on Firefox and the web at large to find an actual solution. 

The problem:

My search bar has been hijacked by Yahoo, probably in a sneaker add-on or something coming in with a download.  It has taken over my search bar so that I cannot switch back to Google, which is what I had selected in the drop-down menu before the hijacking.  It also forces me (because of this) onto a Yahoo search page for any search I do. 

The reason I need expert help:

All the posted solutions I found online for "yahoo has taken over my search bar" talk about removing Yahoo by going to Tools>Add Ons and then simply locating it and removing it.  The issue is though that nothing shows up named 'yahoo.'  I also tried searching my computer for 'yahoo' and removing everything that came up with that name, but the problem persists.  I think that Yahoo put a sneaker/hidden program or add-on or whatever on my machine so that I can't find it to remove it.  This has happened before, and I don't remember exactly how I got rid of it next time. 

I trust this community will read this topic post thoroughly and not give me instructions to remove it from Tools>Add Ons, etc., which doesn't work.  This problem requires a higher level of savviness.

Thank you!Attached File  yahoo.jpg   6.97KB   0 downloadsAttached File  yahoo 2.jpg   80.25KB   0 downloadsAttached File  yahoo 3.jpg   61.65KB   0 downloadsAttached File  yahoo 4.jpg   78.2KB   0 downloadsAttached File  yahoo 5.jpg   101.14KB   0 downloadsAttached File  yahoo 6.jpg   69.4KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

Let's try something simple and see if it will fix this little issue.

On the menu bar at the top go to Help-Troubleshooting Information

From there on the right click Reset Firefox.

Post back the results.

Edited by chrisd87, 07 November 2013 - 12:40 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 voodoochildbc

voodoochildbc

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

Since you didn't mention it: Have you tried clicking the arrow next to the Yahoo icon, and then switching it back to Google? Normally Firefox remembers the last search engine you used. Once switched, it should retain that setting.

Furthermore, if you want to remove Yahoo from the search engine list, just click "manage search engines" at the bottom, and then remove Yahoo from the list.

#4 Quantum41

Quantum41

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

Download CCleaner and go into the tools and uninstall the tool bar. This should remove the tool bar on top of the browser.

http://www.piriform.com/promo/ccleaner-080213?_kk=ccleaner&_kt=f3eccf1d-4c79-43e5-a158-7865dc52e6c2&gclid=CN-Ou-DQ07oCFQmCQgodAxwABg

If after doing this, it still is giving you problems and having yahoo search all over, you can go to menu

Capture_zps1308e326.png

Capture2_zps182b856f.png

My Blog www.theanyblog.com

Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit CPUIntel Core i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology RAM16.0 GB Single-Channel DDR3 
MotherboardSABERTOOTH X79 (LGA2011) GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

#5 jadenemayla

jadenemayla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

I had already reset Firefox before posting my issue.  It did nothing. 

I may not have mentioned it directly, but I did say I was seeking more savvy help here; the reason I posted this issue is that Yahoo has taken over so that I can't even switch back to Google.

I am wary of downloading trial software to take care of this problem.  There has to be a way to find and remove the takeover bot/program/whatever it is.  Please, super-tech-savvy people, help!

Thank you :)

#6 Quantum41

Quantum41

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:30 PM

Cleaner is a great piece of software. It's not dangerous or any virus. It's actually what I download first onto anyone's computer. It should fix your problem. Ccleaner is really really good

My Blog www.theanyblog.com

Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit CPUIntel Core i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology RAM16.0 GB Single-Channel DDR3 
MotherboardSABERTOOTH X79 (LGA2011) GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

#7 voodoochildbc

voodoochildbc

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

Type about:config into the address bar

Find preference name: browser.search.defaultenginename

Change the string to Google

And no offense... but even though you're requesting "super tech-savvy" assistance, it doesn't hurt to make sure you've tried all of the common sense solutions first.

Edited by voodoochildbc, 07 November 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it, and checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

#9 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

I had already reset Firefox before posting my issue.  It did nothing. 

I may not have mentioned it directly, but I did say I was seeking more savvy help here; the reason I posted this issue is that Yahoo has taken over so that I can't even switch back to Google.

I am wary of downloading trial software to take care of this problem.  There has to be a way to find and remove the takeover bot/program/whatever it is.  Please, super-tech-savvy people, help!

Thank you :)

Also it helps to list all of your troubleshooting steps, so that when forum members try assisting you they don't get ridiculed because they didn't provide tech savvy enough advice for you. It's better to try something simple than to try more complex things first and then in the end, all you had to do was do the simple step to resolve the problem...

Why not just use a system restore point and roll back to a date prior to the search engine takeover?

Edited by chrisd87, 07 November 2013 - 08:12 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

FWIW:  http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/952305

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users