Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serious adware/malware issue, please help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JayCoops

JayCoops

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:51 AM

Could anyone help me please?

I have an adware issue that just won't go away. Quite frequently, new tabs and windows pop up. I also get highlighted words on every site I visit. I am a member of an online sim racing community, which the site now shows up more as an advert catalogue rather than a forum. I have been using Norton the past few months, but it had not picked up the issue. I have recently uninstalled Norton and was advised to use Avira. Avira had picked up several infections but hasn't seemed to get rid of them. I have now uninstalled Avira too as it doesn't seem to be doing the job neither. Could someone please guide me through how to get rid of this problem. Any help will be most appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

Are the double-underlined random words that you are referring to like the example provided in this topic (Post #1)?

If so, please read In-Text Ads Explained.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

Since there are software programs, browser extensions and add-ons/plug-ins which can be installed and used to display in-text advertisements, please do the following:

Most programs and many toolbars can be removed using Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Control Panel, so always check there first.

Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable and follow these instructions for using it. Revo will do a more thorough job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

If the program is not listed in Add/Remove or Programs and Features, and there is no uninstaller in the program's folder, the next place to check is your browser extensions and add-ons/plug-ins.If you continue to have issues after doing the above, please let me know.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 JayCoops

JayCoops
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:58 PM

All appears to be sorted after the advice given about managing the plugins. Many thanks quietman, most appreciated. If I find the issue hasn't been resolved further down the line. I will re-post.

Thanks again.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:02 PM

You're welcome Jay.