Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions for computer security experts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 vl72

vl72

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:42 AM

I have next problem.

My neighbors from other apartments have a remote wireless access to my laptop and desktop PC and create me some problems and watch what I am doing.

They can connect to my computers when I don’t use Internet.

I have used different antivirus programs, firewalls, antispyware software, but all these programs haven’t found anything suspicious.

I suppose somebody has done something with my PC (for example, with motherboard, BIOS or installed a special hardware device). This person is very experience in computers and microelectronics.

When somebody connect to my laptop or desktop PC I watch as my program begin to work slower.

I think because my useful operation memory to become smaller.

Earlier I have done format HD and installed OS (Windows, Linux Ubuntu) and software again but this didn’t help me.

Maybe I must look for a device for scanning all frequency range that can use for remote wireless access?

Then I can jam so radio waves with another apparatus.

P.S. Excuse me for my English.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jeffce

jeffce

Bleepin' Super Saiyan

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:52 AM

Hi and welcome....

I see that you mentioned that have access to your computers and internet?  Are you using a wireless router by chance?  If that is the case, then let me know what type of encryption that you have set for it, such as WEP, WPA/WPA2?

WFxJwA4.png

mvp_horizontal_fullcolor-(copy2).jpeg

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

This topic is very interesting to me. My wireless setup is ok but I'm interested in knowing about making sure it is as safe as possible. In addition I volunteer at a non-profit organization with 6 computers, planning to expand to 8 computers non of which work wirelessly but I want to set them up to do so

In your case, you have a desktop & a wireless laptop pc.

Is your ISP modem/router wireless?

Do you have a 2nd wireless router in the system?

Does the desktop computer work wirelessly?

#4 vl72

vl72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

I use so modem/router for Internet - Huawei HG532e

I set type of encryption TKIP and type of security WPA2-Personal.

Here is more about it.

WLAN protocols (wireless network)
including 802.11b, 802.11g and 802.11n. It also supports different wireless encryption modes, providing secure, reliable and high-speed WLAN access for users

This device gave me my ISP "Ukrtelecom".

This device allow to switch 4 computers with cable, because it has 4 port LAN 1-4

It is a DSL modem.

I am an economist but have a little experience as system administrator.

Larry, you can use a network switch that will has as many ports as you need. For 8 desktop computers - 8th ports' switch.

But if you want to connect a separate wireless router in your network I advise you to use 12th ports' switch because you need 1 port for your router.

Maybe you can look for a device that I had but with many ports for LAN (local area network).

For example, DIR-632 Wireless N 8-Port Router.

Here is site famous organization - Cisco Systems, Inc.that make telecommunications equipment.

But as I wrote above, my neighbors look after me WITHOUT any Internet connections.

I use Internet at home only one month and problem is for along time.

BTW I am sure that bad people read my posts too and I don't want to help them.

#5 laszlo42

laszlo42

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:41 AM

Just as a side note, if your router supports wps and you can disable it, you should do it.

#6 jeffce

jeffce

Bleepin' Super Saiyan

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

I agree that if you have WPS on your router and it is enabled it is not really that hard for an attacker to break that PIN...you should disable WPS.  Seeing as how you have already done a format of your system and reinstalled an operating system, there won't be any malware on your system.  When was the last time that you reset your router, as this could have been exploited through the WPS being enabled.

WFxJwA4.png

#7 vl72

vl72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:47 PM

My router doesn't mean a big role.

Excuse me, but my questions for GURU (experts) in IT and computer security.

I worked earlier with people that have many money and hate me.

They can pay anybody and have hight IQ.

All of them are one nationality and live not only in my country (Ukraine).

I go to police and Office of Public Prosecutor but they don't like to work and I haven't evidences.

It's difficult to fight with like as the Mafia.

My country has hight level of corruption, unfortunately.

#8 jeffce

jeffce

Bleepin' Super Saiyan

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

If you have formatted your system and installed a new operating system then the infection will not be on your computer itself.  It could be that your router is infected itself.  Even if you have WPA/WPA2 encryption enabled but then leave WPS (Wifi Protected Setup) enabled, this can leave a point that an attacker can gain access to your router and internet.  That is the reason I asked about WPS being disabled.  Hope that this may help.

WFxJwA4.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users