Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[BSOD] Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal (NETIO.SYS)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SwiftTechie

SwiftTechie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:40 AM

Hi there,

Recently, I've been getting BSoDs with the error message, "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal (netio.sys)". Strange enough, from what I've observed, the BSoD appears to be originating from Youtube, on specific youtube videos. Any attempts to watch the videos would result in another BSoD, but other videos can be watched without the BSoD ever occuring.

For reference, these are the video links: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb6uti5nO14 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRofNWpnXTE

The videos would play normally for a few seconds, then get a BSoD with the error message stated above.

On further note, I am not using Windows 8.1.

I will post my system info as soon as possible after Speccy has finished analyzing it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SwiftTechie

SwiftTechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:48 AM

These are the results from Speccy:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/wSkOf35R74ZlHOSuaksdQ4N

My crash dump files are attached in the zip below.

Attached File  Crash_Dump_Files.zip   91.12KB   3 downloads

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:45 AM

:welcome: to the forum mate.

Your issue seems to be probably caused by "Avast antivirus". All the time crash happened, avast service was the running process.

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT

BUGCHECK_STR:  AV

PROCESS_NAME:  AvastSvc.exe

If we inspect the raw call stack of the thread which crashed, we can see aswnet.sys ( "Avast firewall" driver ) is loading and unloading.

fffff880`1a8201c0  fffff880`03a6a2f0Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\aswnet.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for aswnet.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for aswnet.sys
 aswnet+0x6a2f0
fffff880`1a8201c8  fffffa80`078b4eb0
fffff880`1a8201d0  fffffa80`078a79f0
fffff880`1a8201d8  fffffa80`0ad54c01
fffff880`1a8201e0  fffffa80`078b4eb0
fffff880`1a8201e8  fffff880`03a31859 aswnet+0x31859

Please uninstall "Avast" using the "Avast removal tool".  Uninstall it through "Control Panel" may not remove it's kernel mode drivers and that is why we need to use the tool.

1. Download the removal tool from the below link.

http://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avastclear.exe

2. Reboot the system in to safe mode and run the tool. Click "Remove" and restart the system (it shouldn't be used under normal boot mode). 

3. To protect against malwares, turn on "Windows defender". Don't install any other third party antivirus program until the issue is resolved.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/3466684/how-turn-on-defender-in-windows-8/

Your system also seems to installed "Winpcap packet capturing library".

[COLOR=RED][B]npf.sys                     Fri Jun 25 22:20:58 2010 (4C24DE72)[/B][/COLOR]
NetGroup Packet Filter Driver, part of the WinPcap packet capture library

This driver is problematic in some systems and it is very old so please uninstall it also. If the BSOD continues, upload the latest dumps with next reply.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 07 November 2013 - 07:47 AM.

#4 SwiftTechie

SwiftTechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:50 AM

Greetings again,

I've followed the steps to uninstalling Avast, although Windows Defender won't seem to turn on, even though there are no third party antivirus programs monitoring my system, Windows Defender detects that there is still something else monitoring my system.

On an additional note, AVG Antivirus was pre-installed into the laptop when it was bought, but it was controlling my Windows Firewall and I didn't like that very much, so I uninstalled it and replaced it Avast Free Antivirus instead. However, I believe I only uninstalled AVG through the Control Panel and not a complete removal tool. Could some remnants of AVG be affecting Windows Defender?

Also, would you please elaborate on how to uninstall the NetGroup Packet Filter Driver?

Thank you.

#5 SwiftTechie

SwiftTechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

Quick update:

Apologies, I haven't noticed I still had the AVG Safeguard Toolbar installed. Removing it allowed me to enable Windows Defender again. I have a few questions about Windows Defender though. Is it as good as the third party antivirus programs? I've been using third party antivirus programs a lot instead of Windows Defender because I had doubts on it's security and virus protection, so I want to make sure.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

Hi

"Windows defender" will provide basic protection and can be combined with "Malwarebutes free" for a strong protection.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

You don't need to stick with it but don't install a third party AV before confirming the BSOD issue is gone for good. Just wait a couple of days and check how the system works. After that, i can suggest some good alternative AV programs for you.

The "Winpcap packet capturing library" is widely used by a number of programs so you may not see it in the installed programs list. To remove it we may need to uninstall the original program which installed it.But before doing that, let us check how the system works without "Avast" first.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 07 November 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#7 SwiftTechie

SwiftTechie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:23 AM

Update:

So far, my system works fine for the past couple of days. No BSoDs have ever occurred when watching the videos. Thanks for the solution, appreciate it. :)

Could you suggest some good third party antivirus programs that don't control my system's firewall? I scrapped AVG for Avast because AVG was controlling my firewall.

But now that the system's working fine without Avast, how do I find the program that installed this "Winpcap packet capturing library" and remove it?

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:21 AM

Hi

Since the system is working fine, let us ignore the "Winpcap packet capturing library" for now. It doesn't seems to create issues in your system.

If you are looking for a free antivirus programs, give a try to "Bitdefender free".

http://download.bitdefender.com/npd/free/Antivirus_Free_Edition.exe

If you need a  commercial AV program, i would suggest "Kaspersky antivirus" (not "Internet security").

http://www.kaspersky.com/antivirus-free-trial

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users