Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xTyD23x

xTyD23x

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:29 AM

Hello, I have a video card that I think crapped out. For a while it would freeze my computer whenever I streamed video, but it would work for regular internet browsing or local stuff on the computer. Finally, I got the beeping at startup with the orange light. I removed the video card and cleaned it up with dust off. When I reinstalled it, the computer started right up and worked fine. After a couple days I am back to square 1. I removed the video card and tried using the onboard video card, which I thought would auto sense my new connection and enable the card, but it doesn't. I tried unplugging the computer and removing the battery from the mobo for a few minutes and that didn't work. I tried to clean the malfunctioning card again, but it seems to be totally dead. Aside from what I've already tried, what other steps can I take to get my onboard video card working again? I am fairly certain that this is the only problem, but it's impossible to mess with settings in my computer without seeing anything. Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 XAQman

XAQman

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:37 AM

Sounds like your card overheated and died.

Edited by XAQman, 07 November 2013 - 02:38 AM.

#3 xTyD23x

xTyD23x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

Sounds like your card overheated and died.

Yeah, I am pretty confident that the card is dead, but I was hoping to use the onboard video now. I removed the video card, but the onboard video is not working when connected with DVI or HDMI. I am wondering how I can enable this card without a display.

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

you could reset the bios

#5 XAQman

XAQman

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

Go into your BIOS and make sure onboard graphics is enabled.

#6 xTyD23x

xTyD23x
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:34 PM

Go into your BIOS and make sure onboard graphics is enabled.

How can I get into the bios and make changes with no display?

#7 XAQman

XAQman

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

Reset the BIOS by removing the 2032 CMOS battery for 5 - 10 minutes.

#8 Quantum41

Quantum41

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

Resetting your Bios should most likely do it. One thing id try is once you reset the bios by removing the CMOS battery, try the card once again just for good measure. I believe it is fried but sometimes cards can act up for no reason! :)

My Blog www.theanyblog.com

Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit CPUIntel Core i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology RAM16.0 GB Single-Channel DDR3 
MotherboardSABERTOOTH X79 (LGA2011) GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users