Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

imap putting mail in local sent folder despite defaults

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

Hi guys, hope someone else has figured this irritating one.

It is occurring with both Thunderbird and Outlook, and only on selected machines, not all of the network. But only on Win7 64.

Intermittently the sent mail will be placed in the local sent folder rather than the IMAP sent folder. Most of the time the mail that this happens to, happens to have an attachment. This is causing some users to check that it was sent and not see it in the sent items, then send it again, and again (even though it is sending every time), causing confusion for all involved. It may be one mail in 50 that this happens to though, or 3 in one day from one user.

It's not a life ending bug, but I don't like these things hanging around. I've googled and can't seem to get any hits on the same problem, maybe getting my keywords wrong.

Can anyone help please?

Edited by hamluis, 07 November 2013 - 07:05 AM.
Moved from Business Applications to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:48 AM

no one ever answers my questions :(

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:19 PM

Ok guys, you can stop panicking now I figured it out.

When POP3 mail accounts with server name as IMAP accounts (not the same server, but same name) get transferred to IMAP, Outlook poops itself and gets an error that is generated by the newly created .pst file. The result is 2 sets of local folders that are calling the data. The solution: delete one of the local folder systems in Outlook, close Outlook, move the outlook.pst.old out of the local\appdata folder, restart Outlook and... voila!. Problem disappears.

I assume (bad I know, but logical) that I can do the equivalent to Thunderbird and correct the same issue.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

#4 MzLindyOne

MzLindyOne

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

no one ever answers my questions :(

Because you only ask when you can't search up the answer.  :-)  If you can't, nobody else can either, so you're taking a chance that someone reading will have had the same experience.  I guess they're all... busy fixing Outlook. :-\

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

Lol... yeah, I'm still busy fixing the darned crippleware myself. Never ending cycle of problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users