Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVAST Windows Server Anti virus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 amountainclimber

amountainclimber

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:53 PM

I downloaded and installed the Avast Windows Server antivirus program and installed it.

The server that I installed the software on had a production database syncronization process, which keeps a legacy PSQL database in sync with MS SQL Server. The synchronization process uses a combination of executable programs, the windows task scheduler and the SQL Server agent. 

As soon as the antivirus software came up, it deleted every executable that the task scheduler ran, and it deleted the jobs in the task scheduler that started the executables. 

So the default AVAST assumption is that programs getting executed and the task scheduler executing tasks are viruses????

I should have just installed a virus.

When we realized what was happening we stopped the realtime virus monitoring.

We were able to recover the executables from their "vault" but the jobs and their schedules are deleted without notification and without being saved. So there was nothing to recover.

A call to Avast support was HIDEOUS. 

I had an agent who simply re-read the AVAST support policies after each question I asked.

The bottom line was, go to the website. Type in your question, and they will get back to you in 24 hours. 

This is going to take hours to get sorted out.

If you are looking for a single server antivirus solution, my recommendation is ANYBODY ELSE BUT AVAST.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

The quality and care of Customer Support is an important factor in the decision making process as to whether or not to stay with the vendor or choose another product.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 rp-57

rp-57

• Members
  • 469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:08 AM

I had avast free version and I can tell you I have to agree with there service is very hideous.  I had tried a few times to get help with them I called them 2 times and both times the serv tech whom did not speak very good English insisted to me that I get a pc cleanup and I had just had one done not long before I called them. I told him it was my business what I did with my pc and you need to focus on my phone call and what Iam asking you bout avast.  he then told me I would have to buy from them some kind of tuneup which ran in the area of about $200.oo he the tech said now I know I talked to you before bout this problem  I told him no way and hung up.  I called the local pc place I deal with and told them what went on. I told them my call to avast support was to get help on why the serv was not updating itself they told me that I was correct to find out on that and to take avast off my pc and uninstall it so I did.  the problem I had with avast I noticed the update was taking over 2 hours at times to get going only way I could get update was to update avast manually. I don't have avast anymore. thanks to getting help here to uninstall that. 

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

Sorry to hear those kind of experiences with avast customer services.

I know lots of folks who just use the free anti-virus and have not had similar encounters. Must be different techs handling server support issues.

#5 rp-57

rp-57

• Members
  • 469 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

I sure had my time with avast I was told avast can spy on peoples pc I don't know bout that tho but anything is possible.   I know both times I called to get support the techs were not speaking very clear English and was pushing me to buy more.  I think that might be on most companys but I don't care to be pushed round.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

I understand the frustration. Unfortunately, a lot of tech support is handled overseas by those who do not speak English very well. This is because they are generally well educated, more competent and tech savvy than their American counterparts.

A part of all tech support with most security vendors is to attempt to get folks to upgrade to a paid product. Some techs overdue that step which turns folks off.

However, they all appear to have the same flaw....a lack of people (personal) communication skills with those who call for help. 

#7 rp-57

rp-57

• Members
  • 469 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:58 AM

yes I do know tech are over seas I'am aware of that.  Yes that is what happened to me they over pushed me and did not help on the problem I was experiencing.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

And that's how they loose customers.