Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Boot Loop

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 whitelion2126

whitelion2126

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

I've been having a problem on Startup with Windows Rebooting many times ,sometimes 8-10 times before finally completing Startup.This only happens during a cold start after the computer has been shutdown for an hour or more,Restarting after a successful boot is not a problem.I've tried using the Windows 7 DVD to Repair with no success and I've also done CHKDSK to repair any corrupt files.I also used an old Windows System Image to restore Windows with all programs and the problem is still there.I have Windows on a separate partition from all my files so cleaning up my C Drive is not a worry for me if it will fix this very annoying problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:52 AM

Sounds like a faulty electronic component. Doesn't hold charge properly, once it gets full enough it works but then drains over time if the machine is off.

#3 whitelion2126

whitelion2126
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

Thanks mate,that's certainly an intriguing answer.However my PC will Start up OK in Safe Mode with no problems.If there was a mechanical problem with one of the electrical components would it be able to Boot up in Safe Mode? My guess is it wouldn't.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:22 PM

I'd run a hard drive diagnostic...before I went any further.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Please read guide before attempting to use utility.

Louis

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

Louis is all over the answer again... safe mode information was the key.

#6 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

Thanks mate,that's certainly an intriguing answer.However my PC will Start up OK in Safe Mode with no problems.If there was a mechanical problem with one of the electrical components would it be able to Boot up in Safe Mode? My guess is it wouldn't.

Actually if you have a faulty graphics adapter, it will often boot up in safe mode just fine, because it is not being subject to the same stress as in normal mode, where it has to do so much more work, and thus overheat. A video card might even work without its fan if it doesn't have to do a lot.

The same logic can also apply to the cpu, hard drive and almost every other component of the computer, which has to do more work in normal mode than safe mode.

Edited by Adam Pollard, 07 November 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

hardware problem yells the A Team....

#8 whitelion2126

whitelion2126
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:47 PM

Thank you Louis and everyone else who's taken the time to offer advice.I'm running the Western Digital Diagnostics right now only because my HDD is Western Digital and i've had problems using Seagate Tools in the past (albeit i was using Windows version not DOS). I'll see what WD Diagnostics says then i'll take your advice Louis and run Seagate Tool in DOS and see what info i get from that.Again i appreciate everyone taking the time to help ,and i'll report back tomorrow with results from Seagate Tools.

Cheers !

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:32 AM

If you have a WD hard drive, their diagnostic is the correct tool.

I only suggested SeaTools because it can purportedly run a diagnostic on any hard drive, regardless of manufacturer.

Louis

#10 whitelion2126

whitelion2126
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:38 PM

I ran Western Digital Diagnostics and the Hard Drive passed the Extended Test,also ran Seagate Tools DOS this am and it passed the short test,i didn't know if it was worth spending the time to run Seagate Long Test since it passed Western Digital Extended Test.After the usual annoying Rebooting about 10 times or so I finally got my PC up and running and it everything was fine for a few hours until i installed a single Windows Update then it Rebooted (first time it's rebooted on me after a successful boot up) and i had all kinds of problems getting it to Boot properly and i gave up for now.I'm now using my backup PC which has the dreaded Vista O/S. This latest development has me thinking Virus, I've run Malware Bytes as well as Avast to try and detect something there. Any thoughts on where to look next?

#11 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

Can you describe how the reboots happen? Does Windows fully load and then restart with some message?

#12 whitelion2126

whitelion2126
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

The reboot happens at seemingly random points ,sometimes after typing in password,sometimes before,sometimes just after the desktop appears.No message appears,no blue screen just a dull thud sound and it freezes immediately at that point and reboots.Only a couple times has it Rebooted after Windows has fully loaded,today was the first time it happened after being on the computer for some time,just as i was installing the latest Windows Update.

#13 Adam Pollard

Adam Pollard

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:25 AM

If you logon in safe mode with networking, are there any clues in the event viewer (in system) ? Can you start up with a clean boot? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

While in safe mode with networking, you could download and run Malware Bytes, in case you do have malware.

edit: read again that you already did malware scans, but assume you didn't find any malware?

Edited by Adam Pollard, 09 November 2013 - 04:37 AM.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

Adam Pollard posted the following.

Actually if you have a faulty graphics adapter, it will often boot up in safe mode just fine, because it is not being subject to the same stress as in normal mode, where it has to do so much more work, and thus overheat.

Safe Mode runs a limited number of drivers.  It does not run the graphics driver used in normal mode, it uses a native driver.  

A Clean Boot can point to a Service or Startup item as the culprit, or it can rule those out.

How to perform a clean boot

***This is a diagnotic tool for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.  This will not repair your computer, but it may point to where the problem lies so that a repair can be made.***

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

(1)  Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

(2)  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

msconfig2_zps2e854ee3.png

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

(1)  Click on the General tab.   

(2)  Click the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

Cleanboot_zps3b042516.png

(1)  Click on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

(3)  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Restart.

Caution:  By disabling the Services your antivirus will not be active, for this reason I suggest that this process not be run while online.

cleanboot16_zps67072642.png

If the problem does not reoccur after the reboot continue with the process of elemination to find the Service which is causing this in Option A.  If the problem does reoccur after the reboot go to Option B.

Option A

**The following is a process of elimination to find the Service or Startup item that is causing your problem**.  

*  If the problem does not reoccur after the restart go back to Services and place check marks in half of the boxes and restart the computer.  

*  If the problem still does not continue return to Services and remove the check marks that were added, then place check marks in the remaining half of the boxes and restart the computer.

If the problem resumes after a restart in one of these halves, you will procede with this process in the half where the problem occurs.  If this does not continue in either half you should repeat this process in Sartup

*  In the half of the Services that the problem is found, remove one check mark at a time and restart the computer to see if that  is the Service causing the problem.  Continue to do this with the Services untill the service causing this problem is  found.

Option B

Search Startup itmesIf the problem is not found in Services, remove all of the check marks, click on the Startup tab and repeat the search process there.

Caution:  If this is a laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

If this problem is found, run the System Configuration Utility, then click on the check box to clear the item.

To open the System Configuration Utility:

(1) Click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png.

(2)  Click on Control Panel

(3)  Click on Administrative Tools.  

(4)  Double click on System Configuration.

If the Service or Startup item is identified please include it in your next post. 

When you are finished, click on the General tab in System Configuration, then click on Normal Startup, click on OK, then restart your computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 whitelion2126

whitelion2126
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:22 AM

I want to thank everyone who took the time to reply to my problem.Turns out it indeed was a hardware problem,the Power Supply.I was fooled into thinking the PS was ok because it did startup everytime and eventually after numerous Reboots Windows would load properly.Again thanks to all who helped.

Happy computing everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users