Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 EddieK

EddieK

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:01 AM

I hope that this is the correct forum for this question.

I am using XP, service pack 2, updated with all security patches. I have 2 computers. Currently, I physically change out the ethernet cable when I change computers to access the internet. (I know, I know, I should get into the 21st century and get a router.) Only one computer is ever connected to the internet at a time.

I have DSL and have a static IP address that is the same, no matter which computer I use.

The problem is this. I can log into my yahoo mail account (and many others) from either computer successfully. But there are many sites that only allow me to log in from the computer where I physically created the account. The error message that I receive is "invalid username or password" or "unknown user." I have checked and am absolutely positive that I am entering in the correct username and password.

This is driving me nuts! If anyone can suggest what is causing this please let me know. Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:17 AM

Probably something to do with cookies. Is this happening where you have used one machine for all first logons, then tried to use the other machine, or have you done your first login from both machines?

Are you using IE, or another browser like Firefox?

If the former, make sure your cookie restrictions are not set too high. In IE, Tools -> Internet Options -> Privacy, set to medium.

It could also be something like Norton Internet Security blocking you, I suppose - you'll have to check your program's settings for that one. (Most of us here use AVG)

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:45 AM

We try to recommend option that do not cost money, but in your case a basic router would relieve most of your problems. The Linksys Network Everywhere NR041wm Router is inexpensive (Not cheap) and will do what you need. $40 at Walmart. Just a suggestion.

Router
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:16 PM

On the subject of a router you say you have DSL and you are using an ethernet setup which you constantly change. I am using DSL thru Verizon and have a Westell 327W modem which has several Ethernet ports on the mdem (No USB) and it allows me to run several other computers and at the same time, no switching the calble around. I never have any problem with my Yahoo, gmail or anyother account from any of my computers. I do not know what type modem you have but this one I have stores all of my internet connection information right in the modem. This way all the computer has to have is a default setup networking in it and away you go.

You might want to give this setup a try.

#5 EddieK

EddieK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:27 PM

Thanks to all of you (Herk, acklan and ThorXP) for your quick responses. Let me try the cookie setup (currently, I am using ZOne Alarm Pro with cookies set to not accept tracking cookies) first.

I do have a Westell modem, but unfortunately, there is only a connection for one ethernet port and one USB port. I've heard that USB is not the optimum way to connect using this DSL modem. I suppose I could try it, setting the old computer to USB and the new to ethernet and see if it works.

If that fails, I'll buy the router.

Again, thanks for all of your suggestions!

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:02 PM

Oooh . . . I don't think I'd try hooking up two computers to the modem at the same time. A wired router should cost less than thirty bucks for, say, a five-port. The best way is to use the Ethernet cable instead of the USB. You can also get a wireless router (more money) and use a ethernet cable from one PC and a wireless card to connect the other PC, eliminating stringing wires to it if it's further away. Read this article on connecting two computers to the modem.

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 01:11 PM

Hi Herk, The modem that I have accepts multiple hookups. That is what it is made for. Do a little search for Westell 327W - hint: It is made special for Verizon.

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 02:16 PM

Hi Herk, The modem that I have accepts multiple hookups. That is what it is made for.

Oh, sure. Lots of DSL modems have multiple ethernet ports and some have wireless ability as well. (Around here, they commonly use the Actiontec, which has both) But that's a combination router/modem. A regular modem has two options to hook to it, one an ethernet cable and the other a USB plug. But a modem is not generally a router and does not have the capability to correctly route signals from two computers at once.

If EddieK has this type of Westell, it apparently does indeed support two different connections because of its two internal IP addresses, in which case, I would retract my advice about hooking both to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users