Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Retrieving WAB file off remote drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

My main computer died awhile back, I pulled the drive and put it in a Roswell remote.  I have tried my darndest to get the WAB file out of Outlook so far N/G, looking for advice On retriving it.  I have tried importing it using the Outlook on my spare XP machine, I get a message that it can't open the file.  The drive is from another XP machine.

Phil

Edited by hamluis, 07 November 2013 - 09:45 AM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

can you search the drive in the remote?

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:01 AM

can you search the drive in the remote?

Thanks for your reply yes not a problem getting at anything on the drive, I have veiwed many of the files and pulled other stuff off.  If there was a way to open Outlook on the remote I would be home free, I open it there but it is the computers Outlook that opens.  I have not tried copying the file and in serting it in the computers Outlook, thought of that last night may try it tonight.

Phil

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

I have not tried copying the file and in serting it in the computers Outlook, thought of that last night may try it tonight.

Phil

That's the correct procedure...if you want to replace the WAB currently in the system.  If you just want to add the WAB to an existing one...then you have to use the Import function.

Louis

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

Hamluis export/import did not work, I tried a few ways.  I will try copy and past to see if that works.

Phil

#6 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:28 PM

a wab file is for Outlook Express (comes free with xp)... Whereas a pst file would be the container for Outlook (usually installed with Word and Excel). Do you remember which one you were using?

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,069 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:30 PM

The machine that is running is XP with Outlook, the remote drive is XP with Outlook.  I tried opening OL and importing from the remote to the good machine N/G, I tried copying the file and pasting it into the good machines OL folder.  What I may try tomorrow is deleting WAB on the good machine then pasting the file off the remote.

Phil

#8 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:57 PM

so you couldn't copy (remote drive)\Program Files\Outlook Express\wab.exe to C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\wab.exe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users