Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE Back Button code

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SmilingAlong

SmilingAlong

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:31 PM

I am curious what the code is for using the back button. Specifically: to have it return you to the place you left off on the previous page. For instance: on this forum, I scroll down, I click on a link, I am sent to the intended page, I hit the back button, I am returned to the same spot I was in prior to hitting the link. 

Groupon is the most frustrating one. When I hit one of their links, after perusing, I hit the back button, and am returned to the top of the page. I was viewing all deals looking for gifts, there is a button at the bottom that says "show 30 more", after hitting that button about five times, I decided to look at a deal, hit the back button, returned to top of page. Frustrating. Not just their site, but there are others, as well. Including Google,  used to return you to the same spot on the page, but now it takes you to the top of the page, and I have to find out where I was by seeing which hyperlink has changed color.

I think it has something to do with a> but am not sure. I have looked at the source code for multiple sites, but am really good about copy and paste, but not sure what I am looking for.

Oh, if I learn how to anchor my location, I plan to communicate the info to Groupon.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SmilingAlong

SmilingAlong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:36 PM

Correction, the All Deals page returns to previous location on previous page. The Goods page returns to top of screen. 

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:35 AM

The browser simply stores a list of pages visited, and keeps track of where it is on the list. It is a pretty simple operation ti wire the back button to instruct the browser to go down one entry on the list and disply the new URL. Of course it is a bit more complex than that, although not much. Browsers are also often used to store large amounts of code and data that track your usage, and that is much more complex. The explosion of front-end technologies means that most web sites have some sort of javascript running on them. On the bigger sites, there is a ton of stuff going on. Rather than relying on standard HTML to navigate between pages, developers can use Javascript to dynamically load content without actually reloading the page, although in some cases it may look to the end user like the site completely reloaded. Anyway, since they are using javascript to navigate, the broswer doesn't really know about those changes unless the developer explicitly handles the navigation for the browser. What is happening in the instance you describe is that. The page loads some content in such a way that the browser is not aware, and the developer elected to not interfere with browser navigation, or they did, and your browser is unable to interpret the instructions. This might happen if you are running a pre-HTML5 compatible browser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users