Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Operating Systems have you used,using?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 PCWizKid29

PCWizKid29

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

Hello guys

What Operating Systems have you used,using? For me:

Windows 95 (at school)

Windows 98

Windows ME

Windows 2000 (at work placement)

Windows XP (loads at work, home. All service packs)

Windows Vista

Windows 7

Also I have tried various Linux and Ubuntu versions, but I have not really got into it. Also I have used Macs occasionally. So I have had a fair share, how about you?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BabylonHoruv

BabylonHoruv

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

I've used all the various windows systems since 3.1, including Windows NT.  I feel like Microsoft tends to put out a good system soon followed by a really frustrating one.  so Windows XP was good, but Vista was frustrating, 7 seems good, 8 seems frustrating.

I've used Ubuntu, honestly I don't know the exact version numbers.  I tend to like it better than windows, but it doesn't work as well for gaming and I quite like gaming.  

I've used macs, but I dont know exactly which OS was on them, I don't use them often.

I've tinkered briefly with a chromebook running chromium, it seemed frustratingly limited, but I suppose that is what some people need, it is certainly safe.

I've played a little with tablets running IOS and Android OS

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

Done all of these, and many more...

Debian now... Long live the King!

EDIT: 323 million lines of code, worth $8 billion to develop... but still free, 100% free no catch.

Edited by TsVk!, 10 November 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#4 ZashieYo

ZashieYo

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:52 PM

Windows 98 2000 ME XP Vista 7

Ubuntu 12.04

Linux Mint

Mac OSX

Best:

Windows 7 (Just does everything)

Linux Mint (For a OS that is free, I would recomend it no end)

Worst

Ubuntu 12.04 (Worse than windows ME for how crap and fussy it was to use)

Windows ME (The CRASHY one, and gosh it was)

#5 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:26 PM

Windows ME, XP, Vista, 7

I gave my XP machine away, sometimes I wish I had it back.

#6 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:33 AM

Started with Win 3.1 then,

- Win '98 

- WIn XP

- Win 7 x64

I skipped over the others based on what I'd heard at the time, Vista, etc.

All of my transitions went smooth.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

Wish I'd missed Vista Scoop... Very dark days i my computing world.

#8 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

I was fortunate to have a PC-savvy friend that advised me to skip Vista when I was using XP.

It's been mentioned around the 'net that Win 7 benefited from the Vista release from the standpoint of providing an intermediary OS and due to that, perhaps MS was able to launch a good rollout with Win 7.

I'm another one of those types that resist OS changes :) but I have to say that Win 7 has been the best MS OS to date for me.

When I was getting my current Desktop PC built back in 2010, I remember resisting the idea of installing Win 7 but my friend persuaded me to do that.  He was right about that decision as well as avoiding Vista.

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,382 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

Commodore 64 and 128

DOS 3.3 though 6.1

Windows 3, 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, VIsta, 7, 8

I'm sure I've touched more, but those are the ones I've used long term, for one reason or another.  Being in IT I get the OS and install it on release day to learn the new version.

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:50 PM

I was fortunate to have a PC-savvy friend that advised me to skip Vista when I was using XP.

It's been mentioned around the 'net that Win 7 benefited from the Vista release from the standpoint of providing an intermediary OS and due to that, perhaps MS was able to launch a good rollout with Win 7.

I'm another one of those types that resist OS changes :) but I have to say that Win 7 has been the best MS OS to date for me.

When I was getting my current Desktop PC built back in 2010, I remember resisting the idea of installing Win 7 but my friend persuaded me to do that.  He was right about that decision as well as avoiding Vista.

If I could turn back time, I would have started using Debian much longer ago... So many years (and precious bandwidth) wasted on Windows updates, stuffing around trying to make things work, removing viruses and reinstalling broken OS's

#11 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:00 PM

If I could turn back time, I would have started using Debian much longer ago... So many years (and precious bandwidth) wasted on Windows updates, stuffing around trying to make things work, removing viruses and reinstalling broken OS's

That sounds like my nephew :)  He's a Linux kid.  You and he are light-years ahead of me with this OS/PC scene.  I've been a Windows old-timer for too long so it's hopeless for me :).  I'm also hooked on Windows shortcut keys as I don't use the mouse much anymore.

The good part for me is that I've been fortunate to have a savvy friend that reduced my learning curve time with the HDD backup tools so in the event that I need to remove any malicious event or roll back a Windows update that went badly, I have recovery plans in place.

So far, my original Win 7 install is working ok.  It was installed in 2010.

#12 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

I started with a basic version written for Atari and Ohio Scientific, then on to extended versions of basic, enhaced versions, each a little different for a specific mfgrs equipment.  I have serviced just about every type of machine from the Atari 128, Osborne, to IBM pc's to todays hardware.  The platforms varied once the IBM became a defacto standard with the DOS version starting at 2.1 to a version I use today, PCDOS 8.0,  I've followed the platforms beginning with a version called TabWorks, before Win 2.1 but more hardware advances were needed to really implement a nice looking OS.  Once the 80386 with the 80387 co-pro was out and more memory could be addressed and larger hard drives acccessed, WIN 95 kicked it off with some duds between like  WINME and Vista but Microsoft focus has changed to "applications" for the tiny screen users, thus the present attempt at crossover platforms for those tiny screens and us big screen users too, but it isn't making the grade.  Apple has pursued their own course with their exculsive hardware dictating their exclusive software and no other.  Some routine functions are easier but others can be kluttzy and need a guiding hand the first few times for what should be the easiest function, BACKUP.

#13 Chuck E.

Chuck E.

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:43 AM

The first computer I ever used was in high school. We'd write out our BASIC programs on paper and when it was our turn we'd type them on an offline teletype that punched them out onto paper tape (don't make any typos) and then to the one teletype hooked up to a Digital PDP something or other to put them in and run them. I can't remember what the programs did other than blackjack or craps simulations.

My first computer was a used Commodore 64 with some of the goodies but never had a good printer other than a 4 pen plotter / printer. I can remember using BBS? bulletin boards with it but I can't remember for what.

Laterz it went DOS (for Lotus 123), DOS with some kind of menu program that kind of looked like Windows but you used the arrows key to highlight the line with the program name you wanted to run. Then moved up to Windows 3.1 and on up to Vista.  I used a few Macs at time and had one early model that got lost in a storage unit takeback. I have used Win 7 but only to help someone that had a laptop with it. I don't plan on buying anything newer.  It seems like every incarnation of Windows gets worse and far away from anything I want or need. 

#14 nikescomputers87

nikescomputers87

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

Windows 7 and I'm trying to learn Linux "ubuntu"

#15 LilBambi

LilBambi

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

Let's see;

CoCo's Color Basic and OS9 and played on the Commodore a bit too

DOS (IBM and MS DOS)

Also at one point used QEMM and DESQview (ran on Top of DOS

GEM pre-Windows GUI that ran on top of DOS for Ventura Publisher (long before Windows and the Corel buyout

All versions of Windows including obtain in and trying out the useless Window 1.0 right on up to Windows 8 ... Through every version along the way. Currently WinXP and Win7.

Macintosh OS 9, Mac OS X 10.3 - 10.5 on PPC Macs and Mac OS X 10.6 through Mavericks on Intel Macs. Currently OS X 10.7.

LInux from Redhat 6 forward to RHEL and Fedora 8, Mandrake (before the sale and name change), Knoppix, Ubuntu prior to Unity, dabbled in other distros and Debian current since Lenny (Debian 5). Currently Debian 7 Wheezy.

Like so many of us, I just love computers!

Bambi
AKA Fran
My Public Key for Email :: BambisMusings Blog
"The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." ~John Gilmore (Time Magazine, Dec 6, 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users