Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win xp pro, right click hangs computer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jamby

jamby

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

Hi

I've gone thru all the malware checks but that didn't cure the problem.

(http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/511922/right-click-in-file-window-causes-the-hourglass-cursorhangs/)

When I right click on the start button,  a desktop item,  or in a windows explorer window the cursor changes to a hourglass and will not complete the action.  Sometimes when its stuck on the start button I can double click on "my computer" icon and a window will open and the hourglass will go away. 

After rebooting the computer is a little better then if its been running for a while.   But once it has hung once it will hang on all attempts.  One time it coughed up an error message in a window saying "to protect your computer a program was closed"  name: explorer.exe. 

Any help appreciated this has been going on for several weeks.

Thanks

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:13 PM

Have you tried a different input device or update the driver?

#3 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:46 PM

This might help.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:21 AM

Spot on... this is a 99.9% chance fix.

Good link Wolverine :thumbsup2:

#5 jamby

jamby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

Roodo

I've tried this with a ps2 mouse rather then the wireless mouse.  Same result.

Wolverine7, TsVkI

I tried to work thru this once before but was unable to find the problem.  I will try again and let you know.

Started up the machine in Safe Mode and the problem exists there also.  After boot, right clicked on a txt icon on the desktop and recieved a hourglass, was able to regain control but left click on the start button and selecting wordpad.   Once that opened that ended the hourglass.  After that I left clicked on the Start Button and got and hourglass there,  double clicking on the "My Computer" icon opened a explorer window and released the hourglass.  This is just how it works in normal mode except this reacts much faster.  Left clicking in the tool bar on the start button line across the bottom works, so does left clicking on the desktop. 

thanks guys

Jim

#6 jamby

jamby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

Well as you can see below I have disabled all the none Microsoft Context Menu items.  But this has not changed the behavior of the computer...

(picture of the ShellExViewer)  to bad I can't post image files

Should I try disabling all context menu items??

Windows all in one repair tool was run and found no broken system files.

Thanks

Jim

#7 jamby

jamby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

Tried to use msconfig for different start up options.  But everything seems to make it worse.  Tried selective start up without loading start up files and it had continues problems.  Displaying error windows saying explorer.exe has been ended and now Dr Watson Postmortem Debigger is kicking out error messages and is being stopped.  Accompanied by error reports being sent to Microsoft.

While ShellExViewer shows 7zip as being disabled at times when rightclick does work 7zip is still in the list show??

Just now it kicked out the message Data Exection Prevention followed by a request to send a report to MS.

Thanks

Jim

#8 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

Try this too.
1.Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2.In Control Panel, double-click Display, and then click the Appearance tab.
3.On the Appearance tab, click Effects.
4.In the Effects dialog box, click to clear the Use the following transition effect for menus and tooltips check box, and then click OK two times.

#9 jamby

jamby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

Roodo

I finally stumbled across the problem.  Using ShellExViewer and the second method on the 'slow right click' page I shutdown half at a time (including MS items) and then half again until I narrowed it down to one Context Menu item.  Express Zip.   Now why the problem was still there when it along with all other none MS items were shutoff I don't know.  But Express Zip has been removed from the computer and it appears stable at this time.

thanks to all

Jim

#10 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:29 PM

Good Job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users