Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD makes clicking sounds over and over

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

I'm trying to recover some data using this Rosewill adapter for IDE/SATA device. Right when I plug the HDD in, the noise starts right up and will not stop and I don't see anything on my computer popping up letting me know that it read the HDD. Is the HDD just completely toasted or is my Rosewill a piece of crap? It sounds like the HDD is having trouble even trying to to read anything, am I correct?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Quantum41

Quantum41

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

Your hard drive has something bent inside most likely. When you hear a clicking noise inside your hard drive, it isnt good at all because its mechanical and so things are being thrown around at a high rate of speed. This could mean that your loosing your data every time it clicks. if it is not showing the reading of the drive, then it is likely fried. 

Sorry if it is but i hope i helped! :)

My Blog www.theanyblog.com

Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit CPUIntel Core i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology RAM16.0 GB Single-Channel DDR3 
MotherboardSABERTOOTH X79 (LGA2011) GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

#3 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

I'm trying to recover some data using this Rosewill adapter for IDE/SATA device. Right when I plug the HDD in, the noise starts right up and will not stop and I don't see anything on my computer popping up letting me know that it read the HDD. Is the HDD just completely toasted or is my Rosewill a piece of crap? It sounds like the HDD is having trouble even trying to to read anything, am I correct?

You are hearing The Click of Death (cue scary music). This happens because the read/write head can't find the track on the drive that gives it positioning information. That can be due to a bad controller on the drive or a bad head, but the end result is the same. The read/write head is mounted on the end of an actuator arm and the noise you are hearing is the actuator arm hitting its stops as the head swings back and forth across the drive as it tries to find location data.

On older drives, there were a couple of tricks that sometimes restored functionality briefly, but they don't work well with current drives. So, unless you really want to spend $1500 or so to recover your data, you are pretty much SOL. Sorry.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#4 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:38 PM

Your hard drive has something bent inside most likely. When you hear a clicking noise inside your hard drive, it isnt good at all because its mechanical and so things are being thrown around at a high rate of speed. This could mean that your loosing your data every time it clicks. if it is not showing the reading of the drive, then it is likely fried. 

Something bent inside the drive? Really? This has to be one of the most uninformed posts I've every read. Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs is a superb book. You should buy it and read it.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#5 Tragedy1191

Tragedy1191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

Thanks for the info guys. This isn't actually my laptop, it's my gf's parents. So my other question is how does the HDD malfunction? From what my gf says, they are pretty much careless on their laptop so they do drop it or carelessly place it somewhere while it's on. Is it possible that the HDD gets damaged easily if the laptop is dropped while it is on?

#6 Quantum41

Quantum41

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:16 PM

Something bent inside the drive? Really? This has to be one of the most uninformed posts I've every read. Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs is a superb book. You should buy it and read it.

Hey if ya don't like it then ignore it. I'm just here Givin any of my insight. If it's not good then sorry. I'm never gonna give the perfect advice. It's free advice here so why are you complaining? U bored or something?

My Blog www.theanyblog.com

Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit CPUIntel Core i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology RAM16.0 GB Single-Channel DDR3 
MotherboardSABERTOOTH X79 (LGA2011) GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

#7 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:53 AM

Thanks for the info guys. This isn't actually my laptop, it's my gf's parents. So my other question is how does the HDD malfunction? From what my gf says, they are pretty much careless on their laptop so they do drop it or carelessly place it somewhere while it's on. Is it possible that the HDD gets damaged easily if the laptop is dropped while it is on?

Yes, a hard drive can get damaged if it is dropped, but laptop drives are pretty shock resistant. Probably, the drive just had some electronic problems. 

WIFFLEBALL!

#8 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:03 AM

Hey if ya don't like it then ignore it. I'm just here Givin any of my insight. If it's not good then sorry. I'm never gonna give the perfect advice. It's free advice here so why are you complaining? U bored or something?

Well, if you want your advice to be taken seriously, you should have at least a basic amount of hardware expertise, and you are clearly lacking. It's good that you wan't to help, but you really don't know jack. Read a book or two, get an A+ cert, and come back when you have some basic competency.

WIFFLEBALL!

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

Just a note here.

First of all...any post made should be directed towards the benefit of the OP.

Carrying on a conversation with another poster...over items which have no import whatever on the OP's situation...is rude, inappropriate, and of no benefit to the visitors and members who read forum posts.

Second...all forum rules (link in my signature) obviously need to be read by some members posting here...and followed in the future.

The quality of any post...is somewhat subjective..but we all monitor each post by our own standards.  Suggestions are often made which are off the mark.  Personally, I tend to ignore such unless I believe that the content of such post may result in the OP being misled and adopting an attitude/approach to resolving the problem that is far from appropriate.

If you don't know what it is that you are typing...you probably should not type it.  Posting on a world-wide forum...exposes your knowledge or lack thereof...to the entire world of computing.  To not expect to be told that you were off the mark...is somewhat ludicrous, IMO. 

But...the manner in which such is conveyed...reverts back to conformity with forum rules and the basic interests of the OP.

The Bleeping Computer website...at least, the forums here at Bleeping Computer...are not for cross-posting personal issues in a topic where you are not the OP.  If you cannot disengage yourself from such...and remember that it is the OP of any topic who should be the focus, not your whimsical opinions about anything...you will make yourself a more useful member, as opposed to being an unnecessary interruption in the flow of attempts by others to be helpful to a member who has posted a problem and who is seeking esolution of that.

Louis

#10 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 12:21 AM

Frequently, I despair of ever being a model citizen.

Edited by hamluis, 09 November 2013 - 01:07 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

WIFFLEBALL!

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

To determine if the hard drive is functional, run the long diagnostic, following the provided instructions:

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users