Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie Pop-up Blocker Settings On High

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kenshireen

kenshireen

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:42 AM

I have my popup blocker set on high. I enter the sites that I want to allow pop-ups.
However, there are 2 sites that always appear as allowed sites even though I never entered them.
Adnet-plus and firstgoodssearch. I remove them on a daily basis and they reappear on a daily basis.
I have run S&D, Adaware, Norton etc and I am virus/malware free (I think).

How can I stop these 2 sites from getting through to the allowed popup window.

Thanks, Ken

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ramsey76

ramsey76

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:48 AM

Hello

I use the blocker on the Google toolbar and I do not recall getting and pop ups when the blocker is active

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:58 AM

It could be possible that pop ups could still be getting thru if your system is infected. First I would suggest reading this tutorial on this site called: Windows Forensics: Have I been Hacked?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/have-i-been-hacked/

There are lots of things that could be wrong and the best way to find out what is wrong is called HijackThis. It is free through this site and even though it takes a little bit for the results it is worth every bit of waiting. If you wish to go this route just follow the next listing:

Please read this guide before actually doing the procedure
And it has all of the links for downloads you need.

Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Go to the following to post your log file and it will be analyzed by a qualified tech

HijackThis Logs and Analysis
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:17 AM

You may want to manually enter the sites into the "Blocked Sites" in the "Privacy" section of IE.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 PurpleSky

PurpleSky

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:02 PM

First you will have to get your system checked for malware. You need a clean up. Then you can use a custom hosts file or reset your hosts file to the MS original and set it to read only. Download and run hoster. Set to the defaults and set them read only in the hoster.

link for hoster : http://www.funkytoad.com/download/hoster.zip
link for secured msmvp host file : http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt

hosts file is located at C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

#6 kenshireen

kenshireen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:55 PM

You may want to manually enter the sites into the "Blocked Sites" in the "Privacy" section of IE.

I entered these into the blocked sites on the privacy tab as www.adnet-plus.com and www.firstgoodssearch.com. Both appear but without the www. (it must drop the www). I assume this is ok. The only problem is that I had added this several weeks ago and the sites still appear in the "allowed" section. It is almost as if it is ignoring these blocked sites in the privacy section. I assume that you don't need the www since even when I enter manually it does not pick it up.

Help please

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:27 PM

Sounds as if you definitely need to run the hijack log in the HijackThis! forum. There is a way to manually block sites in the Internet Zones, but it involves entering the registry. It's obvious you've been infected. You should be running a number of programs. In this case, both Spybot Search and destroy and Spyware Blaster block unwanted sites and active X nasties. You should be immunizing with both of them. Read this prep guide, then post a log and get cleaned up. It takes a few days to get your post looked at usually, but in the meantime you can use the advice in the guide to get things under control.

#8 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:06 AM

Hey didn't somebody recommend that HijackThis back in Post #3 :-)

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 02:48 PM

Hey didn't somebody recommend that HijackThis back in Post #3 :-)

Yeah, but sometimes people need a little prodding . . .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users