Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP media center pc m7360n fans run continously

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 logrdada

logrdada

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:54 PM

this may have posted somewhere else but try as i might i couldn't find it. Two days ago both fans in my computer started running loudly and continuously. i thought it was bacause th room was hot from the wood stove, ii opened the caase and it was filthy. cleaned that out but its still doing the same thing. i was just going to reinstall my windows xp(yes im a dinosaur) but i dont know if that would fix the problem and like and idiot, ii've lost my restore/reformat disk for the computeralthough i still have the key.When i checked the interior of the computer, it was quite cool, so i dont believe its overheating. any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 logrdada

logrdada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

Also, I read something about it bein the bios, but since I don't know what that is, I'm not messing with it. Also the computer seems to work fine, I just can't stand loud noise and can't afford a new computer.

#3 Quantum41

Quantum41

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

Well the noise is most likely your computers Bios having your fans set to max speeds. Are the fans part of the case? Or apart of a component (Ex. graphics card, motherboard, PSU)? 

My Blog www.theanyblog.com

Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit CPUIntel Core i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology RAM16.0 GB Single-Channel DDR3 
MotherboardSABERTOOTH X79 (LGA2011) GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

#4 logrdada

logrdada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:23 PM

I'm really not sure. I would guess part of the case. There's one at the back attached to the case. The other one is where I can see or touch it but don't know what it's connected to. Sorry. I only know enough to be dangerous. And if it is the bios, why would it just suddenly start happening. Not being rude just curious. This computer is part of the family and I don't want to lose it.

#5 Quantum41

Quantum41

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:43 PM

Naw not rude at all. What I mean by the fan is apart of something as in is it built in to stuff like the francois card but as you said, they are attached to the case so they are there. Maybe if you can unplug the fans and re plug them in in different spots. It may be a primitive but effective way of fixing the issue. How old is the computer?

My Blog www.theanyblog.com

Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit CPUIntel Core i7 3820 Sandy Bridge-E 32nm Technology RAM16.0 GB Single-Channel DDR3 
MotherboardSABERTOOTH X79 (LGA2011) GraphicsNVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

#6 logrdada

logrdada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:43 PM

I about 10 years but I bought it with lots of room to grow. So you don't think it's the bios. I just don't know what it does or if I should change settings in there. And where wod I replug the fans? Thank you for your help also, is it common for both fans to start at the same time. Though truth be told, maybe they're both running but just one is noisy.

#7 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,065 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

chances are it is your cpu fan, those make the most noise. standard size for those is 80mm and they can be found on the cheap (5-10$). your cpu heatsink may be clogged with sticky dust also. it is not an easy task to clean those but it is well worth it. if it is a dell oem machine then it gets more complicated.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,065 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

it is probably the cpu fan. the cpu heatsinks get clogged up quite easily. those fans are standard size of 80mm and can be found and bought for cheap. it may need replaced but be sure the pins match the motherboard socket.

#9 logrdada

logrdada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

Thank you all. I will try all suggestions and let you know what happens. I truly appreciate all the help

#10 logrdada

logrdada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:31 PM

I unplugged both fans and it's the one attached to the case that's running so loud. I put a fan blowing away from the interior so maybe that will help till something else comes along

#11 logrdada

logrdada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:33 PM

Never mind. I guess they're both running loud. What causes this other than heat

#12 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,065 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

i would definitely check into your internal temperatures. speccy and cpuid are two apps that monitor temperatures. speccy can be downloaded here in the download section. what i have seen multiple times is that fans get dusty and clogged and just don't move as much air as they should. Then what happens is that they speed up to move the same amount of air and reach the same effectiveness as they would if they were new and clean. your case fan is also called your system fan - the one that is blowing heat out of the back of your cabinet. that one is probably 92mm which is a standard case fan size for most oem PCs. have you looked at where the fans are plugged into? how many wires or pins do they connect with?

instead of buying new fans, you could attempt to clean your existing ones. and your CPU heatsink. That is what i had to do on my XP machine, because the pin configuration on my fans aren't standard and can't be replaced that easily, so i just removed them and cleaned them thoroughly.  they still speed up from time to time, they aren't perfect, but they work fine.

most of the time, users encounter fan problems when they leave their PCs running 24/7 and the dust just keeps coming and coming, infiltrating the inside of the cabinets and wreaking havoc. with XP, you can just put the system on standby and the PC virtuallly shuts down, including fans, and can be brought back into functioning status with the press of the spacebar.

I have noted that sometimes users can use a regular house fan to move air around and spread out the heat as a temporary countermeasure. i would research the techniques for that before doing so.  this subject has been discussed not too long ago, i will look for the topic .

Edited by synergy513, 07 November 2013 - 04:55 PM.

#13 logrdada

logrdada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:29 PM

Thank you everyone. We are in a bad fiancial position and could not even think of nuying a new one. Plus why didn't any one mention that the fan plugs are quite easy. Putting them back in is a pain in the neck. Do they get E.T. to put them together?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users