Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Enable Integration Features in Windows Virtual PC

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 KevinHren

KevinHren

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

I'm hoping someone will know how to get my Integration Features to work on my Windows Virtual PC. I've tried everything I can find online, and I can't get this solved.  Details follow...

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on a Toshiba Satellite. I set up a Windows Virtual PC* and installed a version of Windows XP Home Edition V2 that I bought a few years back and had run successfully on an old machine.  It is a full version, I am the rightful owner, it is not running on any other machines, and I installed and activated it using the original registration key.  (*Note: I am NOT using Windows XP Mode. This is Windows XP running on a Windows Virtual PC.)

After I sucessfully installed Windows XP, I installed Integration Features in that Windows Virtual PC ("WVPC" from here on).  But I have not been able to get them to work.  When I click on Tools in the WVPC screen, Enable Integration Features is grayed out.  Under Tools/Settings/IntegrationFeatures I have the box checked to enable at startup (and all other boxes checked).

But still, nothing.  For example, I cannot cut from a WVPC application and paste into my Windows 7 applications.  I also have no internet connection in WVPC, even though I am connected just fine in Windows 7.  The WVPC says I am connected to a LAN, and it's assigning an IP address, but I have no connection when I open a browser.  And I cannot print to networked printers from WVPC, though I can print fine from Windows 7.  None of the things listed as part of Integration Features actually work. 

(Incidentally, when I plug in a USB device, the WVPC does see that device and allows me to connect to it.)

SOLUTIONS I FOUND ONLINE THAT I HAVE TRIED, BUT WHICH HAVE NOT WORKED: 

I have added a password to my Windows XP login in the WVPC.  And that user is set up as an Administrator with full read/write permissions.

I have shut off the Windows Firewall in WVPC, allowed for Remote Desktop connections, and allowed Incoming Connections, though it shows no clients connected. In Windows 7, in my Home/Work profile, I have File and Printer Sharing turned on, Public Folder Sharing turned on, and I have enabled file sharing for 40- or 56-bit encryption, and I have tried it with both Password Protected Sharing turned on and turned off. Normally, I don't allow file sharing on my machine, but I changed the settings just in case that was what was blocking Integration Features. Nothing helped.

In the Services on the WVPC I have tried setting the Integration Features to start manually and I have tried stopping the service and restarting it. I have stopped the service, restarted the WVPC, and turned the service back on. I have done all possible permutations of automatic/manual between Services and the WVPC Integration settings (both on, both off, one on, etc). Nothing works. 

It's worth nothing these two things:  First, if I set the Integration Features to manual in services and restart the WVPC, I get the "Install Integration Features" option back in the WVPC Tools dropdown menu. However, if I click on it, the only option it ultimately gives me is to Uninstall Integration Features. Second, when I tell the WVPC not to automatically start Integration Features, whether through Services or using the Tools/Settings drop down menu, I get an error message at Startup that it can't start Integration Features.  These two things make me think that Integration Features is correctly installed, and is able to be disabled, and can be recognized as disabled. It's just getting it to WORK that's the problem!

I've just about lost my mind on this. Does anyone have any suggestions? I appreciate your help. 

Edited by KevinHren, 06 November 2013 - 12:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:05 AM

Windows VM is not optimum... ok so you know that. VMWare (or player for free) is better for this.

You need to bridge your network connection to have net/comm access. You need to map your share drives/ allow host shares...

Go into the options from the host program (Windows VM) for the particular client (your XP VM) and have a poke around. The machines are already integrated, but you have to choose the options to make them work.

Hope this helps, I struggled also the first time.

#3 KevinHren

KevinHren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:41 AM

Windows VM is not optimum... ok so you know that. VMWare (or player for free) is better for this.

You need to bridge your network connection to have net/comm access. You need to map your share drives/ allow host shares...

Go into the options from the host program (Windows VM) for the particular client (your XP VM) and have a poke around. The machines are already integrated, but you have to choose the options to make them work.

Hope this helps, I struggled also the first time.

Thanks for responding.

I don't know anything about VMWare. Can you tell me which program you're referring to?  (I found the company by Googling, but I don't know which of their software can be used specifically for loading Windows XP and running it simultaneously inside Windows 7.)

I just tried mapping the Virtual drive, and gave it a letter designation. But that didn't do anything different than just connecting to it through the Virtual Machine program. I'm not sure what you're suggesting there.

I don't know what bridging a network connection is. Can you explain? As for sharing the machines, I detailed above how I went about attempting to share them. Can you give me tips on where I went wrong?

When you say "go into the options from the host program"... I can find nothing in the VM that's actually labeled "Options". If you just mean generally change around the options, please read my post again! I have spent about seven hours poking around and changing settings. I am having no success.

If you can be a bit more specific, I'd love to get your help. I'm really stymied on this.

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

I like virtual box
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/virtualbox/downloads/index.html

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

I don't know anything about VMWare. Can you tell me which program you're referring to? 

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/6_0

I just tried mapping the Virtual drive, and gave it a letter designation. But that didn't do anything different than just connecting to it through the Virtual Machine program. I'm not sure what you're suggesting there.

Client settings>options>shared folders.... add the host folders you want to share inside your VM.... Don't change this inside your VM, do it inside the host application under the particular clients options.

I don't know what bridging a network connection is. Can you explain? As for sharing the machines, I detailed above how I went about attempting to share them. Can you give me tips on where I went wrong?

Bridged is to share the adapter (your actual network hardware) to the VM. You can do it by selecting bridged mode if it appears or choosing the hardware device your machine uses. This setting is not inside your client machine but inside the VM host application, under the particular clients hardware settings.

When you say "go into the options from the host program"... I can find nothing in the VM that's actually labeled "Options".

Not the VM host options. Right click the powered down client inside the VM host... or however you get to the options for the particular client.

I don't know Windows Virtual PC admittedly, and we can trust MS to bodge up any good idea. But the concept of the whole thing remains the same AFAIK. MS didn't invent this tech.

Hope this clarifies stuff a bit for you.

Edited by TsVk!, 07 November 2013 - 05:07 PM.

#6 KevinHren

KevinHren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

Hope this clarifies stuff a bit for you.

Unfortunately, no!  I actually don't understand most of what you wrote. [edited to remove a bunch of details that actually make no difference in the end]

Anyhow, it sounds like maybe you don't know anything more than I do about this specific issue. Not to say I don't appreciate your help!  I do. Thank you.  But unless you can point me to something specific I can change, outside of what i've already done, I don't think you can help me.

I'll download VMWare and see if I can get any further with that.  I don't look forward to reinstalling Windows XP all over again, though, I can tell you.

Edited by KevinHren, 07 November 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:00 PM

The adapter is virtual, it is a virtual machine.... all the hardware is virtual. When these machines are set up you normally select disk size, ram, etc... the settings you are looking for are in the same menu if you can find your way back to it.

I run 5 virtual MS machines on my Debian system, 2 of them are servers... I have some experience with this.

If you install VMWare you can probably just move the virtual machine into it's folder where it stores machines ready for use, then when it starts select the 'copied' option.  No need to re-install.

I could give you a walk-through on VMware, for setting up these... Sorry I don't know where these settings appear on MS product, but they must exist.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: I just googled this, should have done this first rather than trying to explain it... here is the how to's

http://blogs.technet.com/b/windows_vpc/archive/2009/12/07/networking-in-windows-virtual-pc.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/windows_vpc/archive/2009/12/22/folder-sharing-between-windows-7-and-vm.aspx

Looks pretty much the same in VMWare...

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

Could also be that Windows Virtual PC is a load of bunkum mate, try one of the better ones. Might not be you, and my explanations might be worthless as your product performs poorly.

#9 KevinHren

KevinHren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:55 PM

I installed VMWare, and now I see why you were using language like client and adapter!  Windows Virtual PC does not operate in the same way. At all.

And, unfortunately, it seems like the VMWare Player can't see the virtual drive that I set up in/for/with Windows Virtual PC.  (That was the first thing I tried to do, as soon as I saw that using an existing virtual machine was an option in VMWare.)  So, I shall set up a new one in VMWare. Tomorrow. Or next week.

I miss Windows 98.

EDITED TO ADD: Just saw your PS. Don't know how I missed that on the first read through.  (I think my eyes saw it as a signature and just skipped it.)  I'm going to read through that and see if there's anything new I hadn't tried. Though it seems quite a bit higher than my technical knowledge. We'll see what happens. And thank you, again.

EDITED AGAIN TO ADD: The file/folder sharing doesn't really help me, as I can already drag a file to a USB stick, unplug, plug back in, and drag to the Windows 7 desktop. But the Networking part might help. Ultimately, what I need the most is the ability to cut and paste. As stupid or simple as that sounds, it will save me hours and hours of work recreating files between two incompatible programs. They'll accept pasted data and keep it properly formatted, but they won't open each others' files. And, of course, the old program doesn't work in Windows 7.

Edited by KevinHren, 08 November 2013 - 12:05 AM.

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:22 AM

I miss my old DOS games too... those were the days.

edit:

I installed VMWare, and now I see why you were using language like client and adapter!  Windows Virtual PC does not operate in the same way. At all.

It does work the same way, MS didn't invent this tech, they just copied it and renamed/shuffled bits to create 'features' and training courses for people to use it, like they do on every Windows version.

I can totally understand your confusion... Damn you MS!

edit edit:

And, of course, the old program doesn't work in Windows 7.
Will it install? Sometimes you can run XP compatibility mode if you can actually install it. Without all this VM drama.

Edited by TsVk!, 08 November 2013 - 04:18 AM.

#11 KevinHren

KevinHren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:17 PM

Windows 7 Home doesn't have a Compatibility tab in Properties. I think that is just on Windows 7 Professional, just like the full on XP Mode.

Thanks for trying, though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users