Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Reader

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lango

lango

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:26 AM

Hello

New to this forum and very impressed with it. I have 6 old Dells and wonder if there is a HD reader I can use to read the HD and copy info. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

Are all of the hdds functional?

What operating system are these using?

How are you planning to store the data, another hdd, CDs or DVDs?

If the hdds are functional you can use the methods below to transfer your data.

When the hdd is connected and recognized a drive letter will be assigned to it.  Look in My Computer before connecting the hdd to see what driver letters are shown, after the hdd is connected look to see what letter the hdd has been assigned, you will need to know this for transferring you data from it.

If these are connected via IDE data cable and molex power connectors you will need a computer with this type of connections or an adapter.

SATA drives are connected with SATA data and power cables, the computer you are using must have this type of connections or an adapter. 

With the hdd connected open Explorer (To open Windows Explorer, click Start, then All Programs, then Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer).  

Click on the hdd that you want to transfer the data from.  When you find the data you want to transfer you can either click and drag the file/s to the media you want to transfer it to or copy and paste it to the media.

If the hdd isn't functional you may still be able to retrieve the data on it.  Ubuntu can be used for this.

Recovering Data with Ubuntu

How to use Ubuntu to recover data from a hard drive.

Please download Ubuntu, you will need to burn this to a CD in order to make a bootable disc.  

To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Please note:  In order to boot from this disc you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS to make the CD/DVD-ROM the first device in the boot order, and the hdd the second device.

At HowToGeek there is a good tutorial for using Ubuntu to recover data from a hdd.

Another program that works well is Recvu.

Edited by dc3, 06 November 2013 - 12:53 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 lango

lango
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for your imput, the OS are win XP and the HD are the large SATA connecter type, PC's are non functional. Looking for a USB connecting HD reader, any suggestions. Thanks again

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002 IDE & SATA

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182221 SATA Drives only

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#5 lango

lango
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

just ordered it from Amazon 18.00 shipping inc, believe it will do the trick. USE TO BE VERY LAX IN BACKING UP PC

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:35 AM

Hello

New to this forum and very impressed with it. I have 6 old Dells and wonder if there is a HD reader I can use to read the HD and copy info. Thanks

No such thing as a "hard drive reader", AFAIK.

If you want to access the contents of a hard drive where the system itself has failed...simply remove the hard drive and connect it to a working system as a secondary drive either connected directly to the motherboard or via some USB device.

If the hard drive is dead...then you will not be able to access any data on it...and connecting it to a working system may result in a non-boot.

Louis

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

If the hard drive is dead...then you will not be able to access any data on it...and connecting it to a working system may result in a non-boot.

If the hdd will not spin this is true, but if the hdd spins they may still be able to recover some data.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 lango

lango
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

Hello

No such thing as a "hard drive reader", AFAIK.

If you want to access the contents of a hard drive where the system itself has failed...simply remove the hard drive and connect it to a working system as a secondary drive either connected directly to the motherboard or via some USB device.

Louis

Louis I use to do that with a Dell work station before it gave up the ghost

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,743 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

There are external docking stations such as External Hard Drive SATA Enclosure Docking Station

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 lango

lango
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

Works great, just use explore in properties, was able to recover the info from a Dimension 2400 Dell

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:30 PM

Nice work, glad you resolved it...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users