Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware Removal

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 RightNow

RightNow

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:09 AM

Hi there. I've been following your directions to remove some malware from my computer and I got as far as trying it to run your Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from the flash drive to the infected computer. I'm unable to run the program as it says that "cannot be run in DOS mode". Any thoughts on how I could get pass that and unlock my screen?
Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TB-Psychotic

TB-Psychotic

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:38 AM

Which operating system is installed? Also tell me, if it is 32- or 64bit.

Proud Member of UNITE & TB

My help is free, however, if you want to support my fight against malware, click here --> btn_donate_SM.gif <--(no worries, every little bit helps)

#3 RightNow

RightNow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

It is Windows XP. And I tried to install both 32 and 64 from my flash drive...

#4 TB-Psychotic

TB-Psychotic

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,349 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

Unfortunately, FRST isn´t running in DOS mode.

Kaspersky Windows Unlocker

• Download Kaspersky Rescue Disk (iso)
  • Burn it to a cd or dvd, if you need a program to burn an ISO...use Active@ ISO Burner
  • Configure your computer to boot from CD/DVD
  • Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD/DVD follow the steps here
  • Once you have the cd/DVD created, boot the computer up using it
  • Press any key to enter the menu
  • Select your language
  • Press 1 to accept the End User License Agreement
  • Select Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Graphic Mode
  • Click on the Start button located in the left bottom corner of the screen
  • Run Kaspersky WindowsUnlocker to remove Windows system and registry changes made by Metropolitan Police Virus Note: If you can't find Kaspersky WindowsUnlocker, go to Terminal instead > type > windowsunlocker > choose 1 - Unlock Windows > Enter

krd5.jpg

• When it's done, click on the Start button and start Kaspersky Rescue Disk utility
  • Click on My Update Center tab and press Start to download the latest update
  • Next, select the Object Scan tab
  • Put a check next to C:\ and any other local drives
  • Then click Start Objects Scan
  • Quarantine any malware found
  • Restart your computer and see if it boots up normally.

My help is free, however, if you want to support my fight against malware, click here --> btn_donate_SM.gif <--(no worries, every little bit helps)

#5 RightNow

RightNow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:04 PM

Hi,
Thank you for that, but I tried clicking "here" to learn the steps to reboot my laptop from CD and only a blank page is opening with no information. I am trying to read those posts and info from my phone. Do you think you can copy the steps so I can see them?
Thanks again!

#6 RightNow

RightNow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

Hi again! I managed to open the page and see the steps, but when I restart the laptop, it doesn't seem to give me a setup key (such as DEL). So I can't access the BIOS to change the setting to allow a reboot from CD.
I'm not sure if this is relevant but it is a Windows Vista.
Thank you!

#7 TB-Psychotic

TB-Psychotic

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,349 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:34 AM

Depending on the vendor of your computer and BIOS, there are several different keys to enter BIOS.

Have a look here: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000192.htm

#8 RightNow

RightNow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:34 AM

Thank you. I entered the Bios but it appears that my computer has a Phoenix BIOS Setup Utility that does not have Main - Advanced - Security - .... across the top of the screen so I can get to the setting by using the arrow to move over to Advanced and under it toReset Configuration Data. It only has "Main" across the top and I tried pressing any keys to get to an advance setting but it only lets me play with the system time and system date.
Any thoughts on how I could get to advance setting for boosting from DVD? Thanks again!

#9 TB-Psychotic

TB-Psychotic

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,349 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:51 AM

I know many tutorials about that in german, but this youtube video is the only one in english:

Edited by TB-Psychotic, 07 November 2013 - 08:55 AM.

#10 RightNow

RightNow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:58 AM

The problem is that I only have "Main" as a submenu across the top (right under title). The tutorial and everything I read so far has other options across the top, among which you can find the "Advance" option.
I just don't know how to make that submenu appear...

#11 TB-Psychotic

TB-Psychotic

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,349 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

when starting up your PC, you should see some buttons to press at the bottom of the screen, f.e. F2 for Bios, F10 for Boot menu, etc.

Please hit the key for Boot Menu and have a look if you can choose the CD drive as a boot option

#12 RightNow

RightNow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

Ok, so now I have more submenus apart from Main. In one of them (System Configuration), I went to "Boot Options" and checked the "CD Rom Boot" as enabled. Then F10 saved it and exited, so I thought I'm there! But the computer restarted with a second of my usual screen then it went to the white virus screen.

#13 TB-Psychotic

TB-Psychotic

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,349 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

OK, one step after the other:

Ensure the Kaspersky rescue disk is in your CD ROM drive
Set the Boot device priority within BIOS to boot only from CD drive
Restart the computer and see if it boots from CD

#14 RightNow

RightNow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:45 AM

I'm not sure if I have set up the Boot device priority to boot from DVD only... How do I make sure of that?
The other option I could see was the floppy and I disabled that one...

#15 TB-Psychotic

TB-Psychotic

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,349 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:06 AM

that should be ok. give it a shot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users