Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios Upgrade Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 salcas

salcas

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:38 AM

Hey guys, I have an old Dell Dimension 4600 that still runs pretty smooth after upgrading some parts. I have also upgraded it from Windows XP to 7. I would like to flash the bios (to A12) since it is using and older version (A03) but think I have a slight issue. On the Dell website it states:

Description:

This file format consists of a BIOS executable file. The Universal (Windows/MS DOS) format can be used to install from Windows XP, Windows 2000, NT, Windows 9X, Windows ME or a MS DOS environment.

My question is, since I'm running off of Windows 7, will it be impossible to upgrade? What If I create a bootable USB with the file inside, would that work?

*I did try running the .exe but got a message stating that I must be logged in as administrator. I tried running as admin as well as going into safe mode and trying but same message appears.

Thank you all

Edited by salcas, 06 November 2013 - 07:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

Is there any particular reason you want to flash the Bios? Does the Bios version you selected address any particular problems you are experiencing?
Just because the Bios is old doesn't mean it needs to be updated.
A bad Bios update can render your Mobo useless.

I do see that you can also do the bios upgrade using a floppy. Is your floppy drive usable? This would solve any issue regarding whether or not a problem

would occur because of now having Windows 7.

Run the BIOS update utility from MS DOS environment (Non-Windows users)

NOTE:You will need to provide a bootable DOS diskette. This executable file does not create the MS DOS system files.

1. Copy the file D4600A12.EXE to a bootable floppy.
  2. Boot from the floppy to the MS DOS prompt.
  3. Run the file by typing Y:\D4600A12.EXE (where y is the drive letter where the executable is located).

Edited by buddy215, 06 November 2013 - 08:30 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 salcas

salcas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:35 AM

To be honest, I don't have any issues with the current bios but I just like to stay updated with latest versions. Unfortunately, I do not have a floppy drive. How about the bootable usb idea?

Thanks

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

I don't know about installing from a flash drive. You can boot from a flash in that computer but using it to

flash the bios.....I don't know. Perhaps someone else will comment about that.

To boot from flash, if the flashdrive etc. is plugged in when you boot, and
press f12, the Bios detects the device and adds the USB flash option
to the boot menu.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users