Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

excessive paging pc to slow for skype

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nikkibay5

nikkibay5

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:17 AM

newbee here and my name is nicola i have a asus laptop with w 7..but my laptop has slowed completely and my skype is virtually unusable..when i run the windows 7 troubleshooter it keeps saying ( excessive paging ) have reloaded system image but still the same any advice would be appreciated..thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:30 AM

If you have a insufficient amount of RAM this can cause excessive paging.  When you have a insufficient amount of RAM your computer uses your hdd as extra virtual memory.  When this happens and the system is using more of the hdd as memory, that is excessivee paging.  The virtual memory is slower than the physical memory, so your computer runs slower.  If your computer doesn't have any more than 2GB you should consider adding more RAM.

An infection can also cause excessive paging.  Try running Malwarebytes  to see if there is an infection.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  When the installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:

Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Then click on Finish.

3)  MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. 

4)  Click on perform Quick Scan, then click on the Scan button.

If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.

5)  The scan will now begin, this may take some time to complete so please be patient.

6)  When the scan is finished click on Show Results to display all objects found.

7)  Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

8)  Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.

Make sure that every item shown in the results has a check mark in the box next to it, then click on Remove Selected.

9)  When removal is completed, a log will open in Notepad.

This log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of the log in your next post, then exit MBAM.

Important:  If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Reagardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Please copy the Malwarebytes log and paste it in your next post.

To locate this file right click on the Start orb and choose Open Windows Explorer, then click on C: drive.

When the C: drive opens click on the following:  ProgramData, Malwarebytes, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Logs.  

If there is more than one log, choose the log with the date that you ran scan that I requested.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 nikkibay5

nikkibay5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:40 PM

Thank you so much for that i will try that tomorrow when i get home from work and if you dont mind i will let you know how i got on thank you nicola

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

I'll be around. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 nikkibay5

nikkibay5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

hallo Arachibutyrophobia..i used your programme i updated it and ran it and it came back all clear on a quick scan i then reformatted the drive with windows 7 and realised i erased the scan report but could run again if you wanted me to ? latest performance check came back with excessive paging again..,i did check the ram and its 1 GB the report had this = 

Resource Overview

Component Status Utilization Details
CPUNormal 28 % Normal CPU load.
Network Idle 0 % Busiest network adapter is less than 15%.

Nic Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter using 2,320 bits and has 97,500,000 bits capacity.
Disk Normal 104 /sec Disk I/O is between 100 and 500 (read/write) per second on disk 0.

Reads 93.7/sec + Writes 10.6/sec
Memory Busy 86 % 144 MB Available....i have had this little lap top for 8 months and it been fine..but the last 3 weeks its been driving me bonkers...but i just want to say i really appreciated the fact you tried to help...Nicola

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

Running Malwarebytes wasn't intended to repair your computer, this was to find out if you had an infection which could cause the excessive paging.

If you only have 1GB of RAM, this could be your problem.  Microsoft suggests that 1GB of RAM is sufficient if you are running the 32-bit version of Windows 7, but what happens in the real world indicates that this is not enough RAM.  Microsoft goes further to suggest that you should have 2GB of RAM if you are running the 64-bit version.  In either case, I would suggest adding at least another GB or RAM to what Microsoft suggests.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper left pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by dc3, 07 November 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#7 nikkibay5

nikkibay5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:48 PM

Will try that tomorrow after work ..very much appreciate your help....Nicola

#8 nikkibay5

nikkibay5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:49 AM

i hope i have done this correctly         thank you nikki.............http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HS1fIQttyQ55PMuR0HXcZQj

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:28 AM

The good news is that the Speccy provided me with the information I needed.  

The bad news is that the memory installed in this notebook is soldered in, you will not be able to add more RAM.  You could increase the size of the virtual memory to see if it will reduce some of the excessive paging.  But I'm afraid that you are going to find the only thing you can do is to limit the number of applications you have running.

I wish I had better news for you.

#10 nikkibay5

nikkibay5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

oh dear it seems we get what we pay for,but i am really happy that a helping hand and kindness cost nothing thank you again for all of your kind help take care god bless nikki

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:19 AM

Thank you for the kind words.  I wish there was more that I could do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users