Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

anti adware for Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 alagrange

alagrange

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:54 AM

What free anti adware program, spyware is recommended for Windows 8.1?

I get some warnings about ccleaner and adwcleaner. Apart from Malwarebytes which other one is safe for the new OS?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

Windows 8 integrates Windows Defender on Windows 8, a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection so without anything else, you at least have that.

While not free, Emsisoft Anti-Malware is compatible and an excellent choice for protecting your computer. EAM uses three security levels (or layers) in order to provide protection. These layers are made up of: surf protection, a dual-engine file guard, and advanced behavioral analysis. For more information, please refer to How Emsisoft Anti-Malware works. A fully functional 30 day trial version is available for download.

Spybot Search & Destroy is compatible but it's not one of the tools I recommend.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:06 PM

I'd just suggest spitting up the $25 to purchase MBAM Pro. One time fee, good for a lifetime of protection. Emisoft products are very good, and I've used them frequently in the past. I just don't think the are as effective as MBAM. I agree that Spybot S&D has passed its expiration date. There are some other programs available that offer some limited protection for free, such as SuperAntiSpyware, but there really isn't anything around,  I like as well as MBAM. Windows Defender is largely ineffective, and isn't improving with age, even under Windows 8.1.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

I never tried any Emsisoft products in the past but after the rash of Cryptolocker ransomeware I decided to give the current Emsisoft Anti-Malware a try based on recommendations from Elise who is one of our Malware Study Hall Admins. So far it appears to be very lightweight, works fine alongside Malwarebytes Pro and has blocked more suspicious sites.

I double checked the SuperAntiSpyware web site before I replied but did not see any indication it is Windows 8.1 compatible yet. Do you know for sure if it is?

#5 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:41 AM

I never tried any Emsisoft products in the past but after the rash of Cryptolocker ransomeware I decided to give the current Emsisoft Anti-Malware a try based on recommendations from Elise who is one of our Malware Study Hall Admins. So far it appears to be very lightweight, works fine alongside Malwarebytes Pro and has blocked more suspicious sites.

I double checked the SuperAntiSpyware web site before I replied but did not see any indication it is Windows 8.1 compatible yet. Do you know for sure if it is?

No, the site isn't specific, but I don't have any reason to think is doesn't run OK. I guess you would have to install it and see what happens. The software just never impressed me much. 8 or 9 years ago there was a period when a lot of mainstream software was largely ineffective against malware, and I used a lot of Emisoft's tools. As times changed, I found them less effective than other solutions. Maybe I should take a new look.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

Yeah I kinda felt the same way but now that I've taken a second look at EAM, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

#7 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

I've just visited emsisoft.com, and it was in many ways a stroll down memory lane; except for losing the old A Squared label. Years ago, I used the command line scanner extensively,as well as HijackFree, which was a very powerful tool to examine system processes, edit the Registry, delete specific files, unlock files, etc. It was a much more powerful tool than any of the SysInternals suite; but it gave inexperienced users an unexcelled ability to completely hose their system.

WIFFLEBALL!

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:08 PM

HijackThis only scanned certain areas of a computer's system/registry to help diagnose the presence of undetected malware in known hiding places. Given the sophistication of malware hiding techniques used by attackers in today's environment, HijackThis is limited in its ability to detect infection and generate a report outside these known hiding places. This limitation has made its usefulness nearly obsolete since a HijackThis log cannot reveal all the malware residing on a computer. As such, HijackThis has been replaced by other preferred tools like DDS, OTL and RSIT that provide comprehensive logs with specific details about more areas of a computer's system, files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection.

Unless folks know how to read and analyze logs from DDS, OTL or RSIT there's no point downloading and using them. Unlike HijackThis, however, these tools cannot be automatically used to fix anything without assistance from an expert.

#9 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

HijackThis only scanned certain areas of a computer's system/registry to help diagnose the presence of undetected malware in known hiding places. Given the sophistication of malware hiding techniques used by attackers in today's environment, HijackThis is limited in its ability to detect infection and generate a report outside these known hiding places. This limitation has made its usefulness nearly obsolete since a HijackThis log cannot reveal all the malware residing on a computer. As such, HijackThis has been replaced by other preferred tools like DDS, OTL and RSIT that provide comprehensive logs with specific details about more areas of a computer's system, files, folders and registry keys which may have been modified by malware infection.

Unless folks know how to read and analyze logs from DDS, OTL or RSIT there's no point downloading and using them. Unlike HijackThis, however, these tools cannot be automatically used to fix anything without assistance from an expert.

Sorry, but you are misreading my post. Emsisoft's HijackFree isn't the same as HijackThis. I agree with all your comments about HijackThis. But, HijackFree is currently part of the Emsisoft Emergency Kit. I haven't looked at the current version, but I doubt it has changed all that much. A very powerful tool that needs to be kept away from the children.

WIFFLEBALL!

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

Last time I checked (its been a while) a-squared Highjackfree essentially scanned the same way as HijackThis and produced similar results when run side by side. So I was speaking more in general terms as to the scanning capability and that the usefulness of such a scan has become practically obsolete. I just took a look at screenshots of the newest version and it has changed since the last time I saw/used it.

#11 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:50 AM

I should have included a link to HijackFree, in the previous post. http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/hijackfree/ Very powerful cleanup tool, but certainly not a preventative. It's more like having several of the Sysinternals tools (on steroids) in a single package. And, sorry for getting so far off topic.

WIFFLEBALL!

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:31 AM

It's more like having several of the Sysinternals tools (on steroids) in a single package.

That is a good description.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users