Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screenprints

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Geoffc

Geoffc

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:35 AM

Twice I've attempted in forums to attach a screen print to a query, either as a .bmp or as a .jp(e)g.  They were not successful, and in the first case gave me a very poor impression of this fine community.  It looked to me that a query was ignored, not even acknowledged.  And with limited skills, I try to help.

I have two suggestions:

1.  Please make it a bit clearer (somewhere prominent) what forms of screen prints are acceptable.

2.  When a submission is rejected for reasons such as those above, state that at the "Submit" button, not just at the top of the screen.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:55 AM

Hello there,

Images are not uploaded directly to posts or topics at BC.  Instead, the image is hosted elsewhere, such as Photobucket, and then linked into the post.  We have guides for doing that in our New User Orientation forum, but those topics are presently out of date and therefore inaccessible due to the most recent forum software update.  We are working on updating these guides so that they are available to our members.

For inserting an image into a post, you need to use the following code (as an example):

[img=http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/6262/537215-patrick_star.gif]

I know that gif, jpeg, and jpeg images all work for posting on the forums.  I'm not sure about .bmp  Simply replace the image link in the sample above with the link of the image you wish to include in your topic or post.

Also, most of the forums on BC do not allow attachments of any kind.  The only forums that do, if I recall correctly, are the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum and the various Operating System forums.

I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:50 AM

There are many online services where you can upload your picture and it would show you many sharing link, use the one for posting in forums.

For example, you can use the http://imgur.com/ which is one I use myself. When the links are shown select the BBCode link.

#4 Geoffc

Geoffc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:59 AM

Thanks for suggestions, Orange Blossom and Romeo29.  I bothered with this message in the first place because online image instructions did not work.  I gather the instructions are in flux, which suggests to me that somebody knows they don't work, and so here's a third suggestion, without change to my earlier two.

3.  Remove the non-functional image attachment guidance in the "Do I have a virus, ..." forum and replace it with a working alternative.

Please don't see me as arrogant: I'm an Electronic Eng, 1971, well retired and quite obsolete but well educated and dedicated to quality communications.  We plebs need that, and when advisors don't verify their sources, they may not be helping.

Orange Blossom, your reference to "gif, jpeg, and jpeg images" gives me pause, but beyond that annoyance, my experience is that a .jpeg image installed as instructed was quietly rejected by Bleeping and the whole message scrapped without notice - second time around, I noticed that was within the total message but off-screen.  There's no record now that my earlier message was ever sent, so I have to repeat that half-hour's work from scratch, watching carefully this time around for any sign of trouble.

Same day, different context:  your reference  to Autostarts is now obsolete.  With my background, I can cope.  Some of your users will not.

As well, [img=http://static.giantbomb.com/ etc.  leads me down a blind alley.

This is not about mistakes, because they're inevitable.  It's about recognising that experts have a special responsibility to make their help accessible.

At the risk of repeating, I suggest my original suggestions stand.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,942 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:23 AM

Hello,

Let me try again. That sample coding I provided included the link to a specific image. I thought I was clear in saying that that link needed to be replaced with whatever link the image you want to post is hosted.

So:

[img=http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/6262/537215-patrick_star.gif]

Replace static.giantbom.com/uploads/original/0/6262/537215-patrick_star.gif

with whatever follows the double slash in the link to the image you want to post.

The sample link, outside of the code box, shows up like this:

537215-patrick_star.gif

and yes, the image link must end in .jpg, .gif, or .jpeg I don't know about .bmp

Here's a sample to a screenshot I made some years ago:

[img=http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m311/sryding/ZoneAlarm-shot-1.gif]
outside of the codebox renders as this:

ZoneAlarm-shot-1.gif

Note that the image is NOT a direct attachment.

===============

your reference to Autostarts is now obsolete.

Are you referring to Autoruns? Which part is obsolete?

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 Geoffc

Geoffc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

Thanks, truly, for further comment, Orange Blossom.  My text looks a bit ungracious the next day.

Your sample looked like an online reference, but in the later repetition maybe the colour change is significant  If I understand, I could specify a screenprint stored on my system as:

img=http:\\c:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\TecRecords\Oct2013\dllIssue4.JPG,

Autoruns, apologies, the link you included led to a discontinued page.  I searched the name and found its replacement.

Incidentally, Romeo29's solution is good.  My issue was with directions on the submission form that misled me into thinking I'd submitted a query.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,942 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

Hello there,

No, you cannot use a link to an image stored on your computer.  The image must be hosted somewhere such as photobucket or imgur.  There are others that you can use.

3.  Remove the non-functional image attachment guidance in the "Do I have a virus, ..." forum and replace it with a working alternative.

Can you provide a link to the guide in question? I cannot locate what you are referring to.

Thanks for the heads up about the bad link for autoruns.  I'll inform the others here so that can be updated.

Orange Blossom

#8 Geoffc

Geoffc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

Best I can offer is a sequence of screen segments with some comment on a Word document.

In retrospect, it looks as though I missed the pink warning at top of message.

Download sequence from https://www.box.com/s/5iksnm2v7jbtfds9qagz

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,942 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

Hmm. Those appear to be error codes the forum software dishes up. I still don't see anything about the guide you mentioned.

That said, it appears that you tried to upload an image directly from your computer to the topic, and that won't work at all regardless of the image extension.

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users