Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mystery missing .dlls

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Geoffc

Geoffc

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:15 AM

I'm about recovered from a HDD failure (C:\, of course) a month ago, but maybe not quite.  Every startup, an error warning arrives - apparently savdiz.dll and piong.dll  (see attached screen print) cannot be found.  Hitting OK, then I don't see or hear of any further trouble, and then can find no source for or explanation of these .dll "modules".

My Presario PC desktop runs Win XP (SP3). 

Data surived the disk failure (offline backup) but a Casper Ghost copy was not functional (after trusting it for years) and then the supplier was really unhelpful in the mess.  So current copies of some 20 programs had to be downloaded from a series (dammit!) of Internet sources (Adobe, Mozilla, RealPlayer, et many al.)and reinstalled, and that's when a raft of virus warnings started.  There's a Microsoft utility to check the validity of OS files, and it found no problems.  After a change of antivirus (AVG to MS Security Ess) and more than 13 Trojan removals, these two .dll "modules" appear to be the last issue.

I suppose regular error messages ARE a problem.  Can anyone suggest what they need done, please?

Postscript:  can't find an acceptable screenprint image extension:  each message reads:

RUNDLL

Error loading C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Application Data\savdiz.dll

The specified module could not be found.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:13 AM

Its not unusual to receive such an error message after using specialized fix tools.

A "Cannot find...", "Could not run...", "Error loading... or "specific module could not be found" message is usually related to malware that was set to run at startup but has been deleted. Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it since the file was mostly likely removed during an anti-virus or anti-malware scan. However, an associated orphaned registry entry remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up. Since the file no longer exists, Windows will display an error message. You need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the file when it loads.

To resolve this, download  Autoruns

Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click HERE if you're not sure how to do this.)
Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message.
Right-click on the entry and choose delete.  --->> For example, this file savdiz.dll according to the message above.
Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.
Credit to quietman7

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Geoffc

Geoffc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

Outstanding, Orange Blossom!

Makes sense, and it works!  Both error indications no longer visible at startup.

Far lower priority level:  are all those other yellow-highlighted entries showing "File not found" also unnecessary?

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:38 AM

Are those yellow highlighted entries under the drivers section? If so, leave them alone. Autoruns is looking for them in the driver's folder, but they are actually located in a different place. This happens because the file in question does not have an "image path" indicated in the registry, so Autoruns assumes these are in the drivers folder.

From here: http://forum.sysinternals.com/topic11781_post53545.html#53545

Scroll down to post 3 in that topic.

~ OB :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:03 AM

If you're going to keep Autoruns (which I recommend), be careful using it and be sure to read:Note: FAQ: Common Autoruns Issues - #12 Autoruns: System32 Drivers Not Found provides more info in regards to "File not found" entries.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Geoffc

Geoffc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for follow-up reading list, quietman7.  I think if it ain't no longer broke, I'll not bother fixing any more.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

I think if it ain't no longer broke, I'll not bother fixing any more.

Good advice.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users