Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fake Microsoft support got me

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Robb2013

Robb2013

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:32 PM

For some reason, I wasn't able to do a Windows update yesterday.  I tried to get in touch with Microsoft Support by going to their website, but was only able to find online support but no phone number.  I did a Google search and found a number from the results page and called it.  This was a scam company pretending to be Microsoft. (When I later got suspicious, I called back and found out their name was "Vtech support" located in India).  They told me I had a virus which is why I couldn't update.  They had me log on to a site to give them remote access to my computer, then did an autorun scan which they told me showed my computer was infected with viruses.  They said they needed to check on my warranty and asked my name, phone number, and address, which I gave them.  Then they came back and said that my warranty had expired and I needed to purchase an additional warranty for 190 dollars.  At this point I became suspicious and hung up. 

So, I'm freaking now.  I gave these scammers my personal information, plus gave them remote access to my computer.  I've done the Norton Power Eraser scan, along with Microsoft's virus scan and they both came back clean.   Malware byes turned up 38 PUP files which I removed.  I'm wondering what I shoudl do.  I'm thinking about reformatting my whole computer but really don't want to do that.  Was wondering if anyone could look over a Hijack log and see if there's anything suspicious going on. 

Mod Edit: Moved from Win8 to the Am I Infected forum ~~boopme

Edited by boopme, 05 November 2013 - 09:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:37 AM

Hello Robb and Welcome -

I do understand that a lot of this is "after the fact" and you know that you may have had personal details already stolen, if there were many on your computer.

These links are used more as warnings, but I would ask you to change all passwords on your computer and also contact any banks etc that you deal with. Most of the damage has been done, and can not be reversed, but the details below are to help you clean up. You can follow all this up yourself, and redo computer / bank / other passwords you may use.

Often people will make a personal report to police, just to cover themselves if any future incidents occur, and questions are asked. Please remember that this is a business for these people, and the Fake $190 request may have been their target (many people do pay it) ... $190 is a lot to many Indian people so often that is their aim.

Phone Scamming.

Cybercriminals don't just send fraudulent email messages and set up fake websites. They might also call you on the telephone and claim to be from Microsoft. They might offer to help solve your computer problems or sell you a software license...Neither Microsoft nor our partners make unsolicited phone calls (also known as cold calls) to charge you for computer security or software fixes...Do not trust unsolicited calls. Do not provide any personal information.

Avoid tech support phone scams: What you need to know
Don’t fall for phony phone tech support
Avoid scams that use the Microsoft name fraudulently

If you wish for us to check your computer further, follow the instructions in THE PREP GUIDE starting at Step #6.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it to Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs.

Just post a few details with the requested logs.

The helpers are all volunteers, so they do get very busy at times (please be patient)

After posting, please reply back in this thread so we can closed this one.

This will prevent other unrelated advice being added to this topic.

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 07 November 2013 - 02:38 AM.

#3 Robb2013

Robb2013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:27 AM

I downloaded and tried to run DDS.  A message keeps popping up "This program is not intended to run in compatibility mode.  The program will now exit."

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:20 AM

If you cannot produce any of the required logs, then still start the new topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users