Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Water Cooling

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Qas

Qas

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:56 AM

Hello i need a help starting a water cooling system.
I have an Intel Dual Core processor
i manly want to cool down the processor and my Hard drive thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:30 AM

If you want to save time and want to avoid the problems of leaking, then buy a prebuilt (such as the Thermaltake Bigwater). But, if you want to cool it down to unheard of temps, then I'd suggest building your own. I've seen people build their own waterblocks (heatsink) to provide the most thermal transfer and flow.

For your harddrives, air cooling is the way to go. Why? Because HDs have moving parts. The reason why their life is so long is becasue the heat stretches out the bearings so that the platter can spin. When cooling is applied, those mechanical parts shrink and stop all movement. The most you can do, is get those air cooling kits for your HDs.

You'd also might want to cool the RAM, if you're planning to watercool your CPU. Cooling the RAM can also increase the performance and longevity of your computer.

And, if you game, cool the video card. If not, forget watercooling, but do get a better heatsink.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:53 PM

Here is a nice Weekend Project from CNet that explains with video how to install water cooling.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11319_7-6291064-1.html?tag=txt

#4 Modding Fan

Modding Fan

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:32 PM

I totally agree with Lego up there. If you're going to cool the CPU...the Video card and ram are the way to go.

If you're up for a DIY solution, Dangerden has some killer stuff, and Koolance has a really interesting ram cooler:
http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info....products_id/251
((I'll probably be putting these in my system when i build my watercooled beast))

Cheers, and, keep us up to date on how it turns out!
Pirates are way cooler than ninjas. -Jinx.com

#5 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:23 AM

Wow... I am going to hopefully start a cooling project, with an extremely cold thermal limit. I was thinking of cooling the RAM with the system, but looks like Koolance beat me to it.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#6 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:30 AM

right ok guys thanksssssssss

is there soming that i can buy as a bundle like some company made all thr parts selling the tank and stuff like a Kit

Edited by Qas, 02 May 2006 - 11:32 AM.

#7 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 11:35 AM

Koolance, Zalman, Thermaltake, just some of the many out there. I would personally recommend the Thermaltake Big Water. Mainly because of the 2 radiator setup, and it has all the water blocks you would need for a beginners cooling setup.

- Rick Cook

#8 Qas

Qas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 02:35 PM

I looked at the Zalman one but it does not support ATI x600 Gpu

i am going to look t the others now.
Apart from water cooling is there anything else i can have like a silent CPU fan thanks

what is the best air cooling for a HDD to get thanks alot people

#9 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:27 AM

Yes it is possible to get a 'silent' fan for your CPU. There is one that I personally favor. The Thermaltake Big Typhoon. For $50, it sports a 120mm 16dba (sound) fan, and can keep a Pentium D 930 overclocked to 4.16Ghz under 50 C!!! But there are others that can be found over the internet. The most helpful site IMO is Newegg.

Most hard drive coolers are the same, a piece of aluminum with one or two fans. There is no best one, IMO, it's all personal preference. I wouldn't buy a hard drive cooler. What I would do instead, is install the hard drive directly in front of the intake fan.

I will do some reseach and find some silent CPU heatsinks for you.

EDIT:

Here's a hard drive cooler, just to give you an idea of what it looks like: MASSCOOL HD Cooler

Here's the Thermaltake Big Typhoon.

Edited by legoman786, 03 May 2006 - 10:31 AM.

- Rick Cook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users