Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Disk Read Error Occurred

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dankdiz

Dankdiz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

Hey i have a problem with a friends computer im looking at they told me they thought they had a virus on it becuz it was freezing and frequent restarts. well when i get to the friends house i turn on the computer and it as the error message " A Disk Read Error has Occurred press Ctrl-ALT-Del to restart" can someone help me with sum solutions to fix this problem 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 671 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:30 PM

Sounds like the hard drive is failing (or has failed) and needs to be replaced.

Edited by SpywareDoc, 05 November 2013 - 05:31 PM.

#3 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 907 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

Hi Dankdiz,

Unfortunately, SpywareDoc may be correct.

However you might consider running CHSDSK: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html

Good Luck

#4 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 671 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:07 AM

Running CHKDSK would require the drive to be in working condition. ;)

If the hard drive is spinning, download and burn the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) to CD. It has Hard Drive diagnostics (plus much more). Simply boot your computer from this CD and select the utility you want to run.

Note: If you aren't sure who made the hard drive in your computer, use Seagate's Seatools as it will work with most any make of drive.

The following instructions may prove helpful for burning the UBCD .iso file to disc: How can I write (burn) ISO files to CD or DVD?

If the drive fails the test, it needs to be replaced. (Hard drives are mechanical devices with moving parts. Moving parts cause wear. And when that wear becomes great enough, the drive will not be able to work correctly. It's simply worn out.).

Edited by SpywareDoc, 06 November 2013 - 09:12 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:47 AM

Simply boot your computer from this CD and select the utility you want to run.

You may need to access the BIOS and change the boot order so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Immediately after pressing the power button start tapping the F8 key, the Advanced Boot Options will load.  Use the up or down key to navigate to Safe Mode, press Enter to select it.

Please download SeaTool for DOS.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button in step #4.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD in order to create a bootable disc with which to run the diagnostic tests.

To burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

imgb1_zpsbb69e759.png

Right click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then click on Downloads.  Scroll down to the SeaTools for DOS download and click on it.  This will load the ISO image, you will see the information listed as it is in the image below outlined in red.

imgb2_zps3f021ae7.png

Click on the blue arrow (also outlined in red) to start burning the bootable CD.

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Please run the long test and include the results in your next post in this topic.

Edited by dc3, 06 November 2013 - 09:47 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Dankdiz

Dankdiz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:07 AM

thanx everyone has been a big help.  I will let you know when i get it done

#7 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 907 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

Apologies to all !!! Don't know what I was thinking???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users