Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Forgotten password Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Freespirit715

Freespirit715

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

I am trying to help my neighbor recover pictures from an old pc and he has forgotten the password. When the login box comes up I tried the alt-ctrl-del twice with no avail. It says that the neighbor is still logged in and I cannot proceed further. He does not have the Windows XP operating system disk either. Is there any way to bypass this? If not and I find an installation disk for Windows XP and try a repair will that work? Or if I totally reinstall Windows XP can we still retrieve the photos from the old computer? As a last resort I told him he could probably take it to Geek Squad or someone like them and perhaps they could recover for him. Any ideas???? Any information would be appreciated. The computer in question has not been used for about 10 years and is extremely slow. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:57 PM

A clean reinstall of XP will wipe out anything on the hard drive so NO, you will not be able to retrieve the photos if you go that route.

A repair install will leave the personal files. I've never lost anything with a repair install. HOWEVER, be aware that things can go wrong and it *might* wipe out everything.

Does the computer have another user account set up on it that is not password protected? If there is, reboot and retrieve the pictures using the other account.

We sympathize with your situation. Though your question about passwords is most likely legitimate, there are those who would pretend to need such assistance in order to gain unauthorized access to a computer not owned by them. We have no way of confirming ownership or if someone is being truthful with us. As such we don't provide step by step instructions but we certainly can help you find the information you seek.

This article describes the Microsoft policy about missing, lost, forgotten, or incorrect passwords...Microsoft support engineers cannot help you retrieve passwords of files and features in Microsoft products that are lost or forgotten.

Microsoft policy about lost or forgotten passwords

You can refer to these Microsoft articles.

Forgotten Password Instructions provided by Microsoft:

Non-Microsoft Forgotten Password Guides:

Password Recovery Tools:

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

Any data files...such as photos, documents, etc...can easily be retrieved from a hard drive without problems...by removing the drive and attaching it as a secondary drive to a working, protected system.

There is no need to boot into system containing such a drive.

Louis

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:11 PM

I forgot that one can do as hamluis suggests.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 November 2013 - 03:12 PM.

#5 wavemaker

wavemaker

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:36 PM

You can also download Knoppix and run it as a live cd and export the photos to a usb stick or other removable medium. If you want to try this pm me and I will walk you through it. It's pretty simple.

When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:26 AM

blah blah... already answered and repeating other peoples advice...

Hi there, hello hello.

Edited by TsVk!, 07 November 2013 - 01:28 AM.

#7 wavemaker

wavemaker

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:47 AM

Queenslander?

When The Going Gets Weird, The Weird Turn Pro. (H.S.T.)

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:51 AM

Yeah, Bingil Bay...

Paradise by the sea, if you can handle that sort of thing on a daily basis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users