Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need some pros to help with a weird southbridge issue......

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 bmx6454

bmx6454

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

i know my way around circuits, but im not expert, not even close lol. i have done 2 days worth of research just to figure out what info i have.  (srry 4 the sh%tty pics. i had to use my fone bc my camera is broke.)this is a pic of the southbridge:

xc0x7m.jpg

the burnt chip is in the red circle. after as much info as i could find, im pretty sure that its a 1.6a fuse (plz plz plz correct me if im wrong lol.) im pretty sure it looked like this:

15i97d2.jpg
 has a symbol thats almost like an x, and says 16. now more or less, im wondering why my computer(atleast i believe) was still functioning fine. not really fine, the hdd crashed alot, even though it passed all tests(and tried other hdds with same resuls), and i couldnt get dvd, cd drives to work 95% of the time. and after trying three known working drives, i tore down the comp, and discovered the burnt fuse. but why was it still working? i mean i would imagine this would cause higher failure?? but regardless, what could have cause this? and above all, how can i fix it? im have been at this for days...... and even if u have very little info id still be grateful.

board is m077 southbridge set is ati.

one other VERY curious question if any1 wants to shed light on. in the first picture i have circled in black two ready spots to insert 2 more sata ports.
bottom side, open ones circled:
24dirfn.jpg
my eysight i terrible, but i think that there is only 4 connections to each port. r these usable?? (i do have that supplys, tools, and ability to insert ports btw). not nearly as important as the first question, but still very curious if i could uilize these. and if they werent usable, why run the lines at all?? w.e. thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

No that's not a fuse. If you can get some numbers off the board itself I might
be able to tell. As for the extra looking sata ports area,(they probably are)
but are unusable because of the chipset used for that board.

Edited by Roodo, 05 November 2013 - 11:41 AM.

#3 bmx6454

bmx6454
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:08 PM

not a fuse? okay. but what is it then? and the only numbers are f6. there are 7 of these around the board. if i could get a schematic of the board, id be good. but no luck lol.

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:22 PM

what computer did it come out of?

#5 bmx6454

bmx6454
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

came out of a presario sr1000. board 5188-4364 and or mo77

#6 bmx6454

bmx6454
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:26 PM

sorry, thats actual M "0" 77. my bad

#7 bmx6454

bmx6454
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

either way, just wonderin what the part is?

#8 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

well you were right its a fuse. Didn't look like it from the pic but it was hard to see

#9 bmx6454

bmx6454
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:51 PM

i know. worse photos ever haha. how do u know its a fuse?

#10 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

I traced the mobo number down and saw a nice pretty picture of it.
http://images.esellerpro.com/2131/I/681/05/SPImage%20023.JPG

#11 bmx6454

bmx6454
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:45 PM

perfect! thanks. i needed to confirm that it was 1.6 amps, and the photo shows. but do u know where i might be able to get schematics from?  except eserviceinfo.com. idk y every1 keeps suggestin them lol.

#12 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

I cant find any you can try here:
http://www.laptopdesktopschematic.com/hp/page_2.html

#13 bmx6454

bmx6454
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

idk if use that site, but that sites bs. no a scam, jjust ripoff. no way lol. ill just guess around. but how did u know it was a fuse? im anxious to get to the solder station haha. but i gotta be sure first. and what does the symbol that looks almost like an x? noone seems to know that one

#14 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

I believe it a manufacturer logo a WA (w over a ) like this
http://www.recordclean.com.au/image.aspx?width=350&filename=wa_rond_small_5mm_chip_-_bewerkt_1.png

#15 bmx6454

bmx6454
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

idk, i guess i could see that. ima get the magnifying glass out. hope ur right.

oh, and i usually get peices from busted electronics i have. (not a hoarder, and not cheap lol) just hate to waste bleep thats still usable. and its more fun when its all hands on, and its like playing wheres waldo.... and most importantly is because i cant stand radio shack employees constantly bugging me about the newest fone to buy.......lol.but 2 questions, ive got busted mobos(desk and note), LOTS OF OLD ASS PCU'S! haha. busted 360s, nd plenty of other small stuff. psp's iPods etc.... what would be ur best guess on which one has what i need?, and since its a fuse, i could just clear the fuse out, and jump it. risky, quite. but i did find the source of the short, so mabye not as risky.... every mobo i have looked at so far have way different numbers. i mean u think using a 2a fuse would be okay? lotta questions... srry haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users