Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Product Key Code not working

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 rollerbarbie

rollerbarbie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

I have 2 problems.... I recently had to do a fresh install.....I am using the product key code that came with my Windows 7 disk... have talked to microsoft and they claim the product key code on my sticker is invalid..... so im on my 29 day free trial for now....my 2nd problem is since the fresh install of windows 7 .... my download speed is like 0.33 mbps and my upload speed is 11.73 mbps and i have comcast blast internet and my other computer has a download speed of like 22..... so im at a loss here..any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:40 AM

It usually is best to address one issue at a time. At the point where you have done a fresh install I am concerned of what kind of product key you have; Like if you have a windows 7 box that says "UPGRADE" on the top or if this is DELL/HP computer that has a product sticker on it?

After that question... I am interested in: have you installed all the windows updates available.

#3 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:31 AM

OK, this is a little confusing for some. Upgrade media has to start from a running, valid, previous installation to work right. I had a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit package that said "Upgrade" on it. The installer was the standard Microsoft installer, and offered to do a clean (custom) install, which I did. When it came to activating it, it failed. A call to Microsoft resulted in them telling me the key was invalid. What they didn't mention was that it was invalid for a bare metal install. If you start the install process from a running XP or Vista system, rather than booting on the media, it works fine AND VALIDATES with no problem. This valid XP or Vista system can be a raw first pass install of either, as long as the installation is activated before you try to upgrade (actually I'm not quite sure of that since I always allow auto-activation. It might allow upgrades without activation first - haven't tried it).

#4 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:38 AM

The issue with internet speed could be as simple as not having the proper drivers for your computer's NIC. If you were starting from an OEM machine (Dell, HP or the like), make sure you have their driver disk for the computer. If you can restore the machine (perhaps from a hidden partition on the hard disk that will show up during POST or by a secret handshake during POST), I would suggest doing that before the upgrade. An upgrade usually preserves the drivers, and sometimes installed software.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:08 AM

I need some clarification as I just talked to a friend who bought a brand new Windows 7 computer at Staples a few years ago and he did not receive a Windows 7 disk when he bought it

Microsoft claims the product key code on your sticker is invalid

--- Not knowing how you purchased the computer, are you sure the Windows 7 disk you have is the exact one for your computer?

--- Did Microsoft offer you a solution to your problem?

On the comments about upgrading, is your computer an original Windows 7 computer or was it upgraded to Windows 7

#6 rollerbarbie

rollerbarbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:46 AM

I had a local computer shop custom build my computer....and it came with Windows 7 Home Premium (including the box with the disk), after speaking with Microsoft on two different occassions they are telling me this product key code was never a working code, so I took my computer to the company that built my system, he ran into the same problem did something got it to activate however, i could not get it to do any windows updates so per the suggestion of Microsoft help I deleted my partition, did a complete fresh install and now im back to an invalid code..... As for the download speeds I did resolve that issue on my own I forgot I upgrated my wireless card to a Trendnet 300mbps wireless N PCI ...and used my old disk drivers so once i installed the correct drivers that resolved that issue....but this product code issue for microsoft is driving me crazy microsoft says i need to pay for another key code....or i can take it back to the place i had the computer built and he can overwrite it like he did last time....but that doesnt help me in the future if i ever need to do this again....I am in a wheelchair and manhandling a cpu tower isnt exactly easy lol

#7 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:52 AM

cmptrgy:

The computer in question is a CTL TW3 laptop that originaly ran Vista Business. I had replaced the hard disk and clean-installed XP Pro 32 SP3 on it. When it came time to upgrade, I originally replaced the disk with a clean one then tried a custom (clean) install of Windows 7 Ultimate 32 (machine won't support 64-bit). That failed activation because I was using "Upgrade" media. I put the original XP disk back in and ran the Win 7 installation from XP, and it worked fine.

I bought an Upgrade version of W7 Ultimate SP1. In my situation, starting from a running XP installation (or from Vista, if I left it that way) you don't need to supply the drivers.  If you are dealing with an over-the-counter computer, you should restore it to factory defaults, either from the hidden partition, or from factory media.  My CTL TW3 came with a Vista setup disk that was customized for the laptop, and included all of the drivers as part of the installation. No activation was required, it was already done. They also included another CD with all of the drivers on it along with the user manual.

If you are going to start from a clean install of XP or Vista, then you need the drivers. It's best to do a factory restore.

Your friend's computer will have a hidden partition on the disk that contains the setup files for his machine. Manufacturers vary on how to get at that partition. Sometimes it takes a "secret handshake" during POST. Sometimes, there's an option either in setup or on the POST screen to "Restore the machine to factory defaults". Sometimes the user is offered the option of creating a DVD with that software on it. For your system, do a Google search for "restore mfr computer to factory defaults", replacing mfr with your brand and model. For example, "Dell Inspiron 9400". Note that if the disk fails, he's screwed and will have to go to factory tech support. Best if he can produce a DVD with the restoration software on it BEFORE it fails.

As for Micro$oft, no they were a little snippy about it. I was only informed that the key was invalid, not why. They probably figured on selling another copy of W7. After a bit of research I discovered the reason - should have run the upgrade from a running system, not tried to boot on the disk and do a clean install.

Hope this helps.

Edited by davnel, 05 November 2013 - 06:07 AM.

#8 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:02 AM

I had a local computer shop custom build my computer....and it came with Windows 7 Home Premium (including the box with the disk), after speaking with Microsoft on two different occassions they are telling me this product key code was never a working code, so I took my computer to the company that built my system, he ran into the same problem did something got it to activate however, i could not get it to do any windows updates so per the suggestion of Microsoft help I deleted my partition, did a complete fresh install and now im back to an invalid code..... As for the download speeds I did resolve that issue on my own I forgot I upgrated my wireless card to a Trendnet 300mbps wireless N PCI ...and used my old disk drivers so once i installed the correct drivers that resolved that issue....but this product code issue for microsoft is driving me crazy microsoft says i need to pay for another key code....or i can take it back to the place i had the computer built and he can overwrite it like he did last time....but that doesnt help me in the future if i ever need to do this again....I am in a wheelchair and manhandling a cpu tower isnt exactly easy lol

That situation usually involves going to the activation screen, getting refused, then selecting "Activate by phone". That presents you with a long, 10 part number grouped by 6 digits. When you make the  call, you will be asked to enter the digit groups, one at a time. When that's complete you will be asked how many computers the OS is loaded on. If it's Windows, the answer is 1, if Office the answer is 2. That will be verified somehow (who knows how?), and you will be given another 10 groups of 6 digits to enter in the windows. PITA but effective.

Edited by davnel, 05 November 2013 - 06:08 AM.

#9 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:03 AM

Question: on the box, does it say OEM, or Retail, or Upgrade? Sounds like upgrade to me. I've never had a problem with retail or OEM versions.

#10 rollerbarbie

rollerbarbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:05 AM

OEM

#11 rollerbarbie

rollerbarbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:12 AM

That situation usually involves going to the activation screen, getting refused, then selecting "Activate by phone". That presents you with a long, 10 part number grouped by 6 digits. When you make the  call, you will be asked to enter the digit groups, one at a time. When that's complete you will be asked how many computers the OS is loaded on. If it's Windows, the answer is 1, if Office the answer is 2. That will be verified somehow (who knows how?), and you will be given another 10 groups of 6 digits to enter in the windows. PITA but effective.

Oh yes i went through that too came back as invalid and then referred me to the "accessibility" department who had no clue why i was referred there at that point i had been on the phone for 3 hours an i was over it

#12 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:21 AM

Rollerbarbie:

The only problem I have with your situation is that, once Windows is activated with a given key on one set of hardware, you should have no problem reactivating the same hardware with that key. I have reactivated my XP and Win 7 setups on OEM software, a number of times, with no problems. I routinely reinstall Windows about yearly.You might want to have a little talk with your builder about that. Something is offending my olfactory system. The other thing I've discovered is that Microsoft will activate a given code, even on different hardware, after a 120 day wait. That's nice because my hardware upgrade cycle is about 6 months or less.

#13 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:29 AM

Rollerbarbie:

Let me add one more thing. If you talk to him, and he refuses to help, see if he will refund the money for Windows. You can then go to somewhere like Newegg and buy your own OEM version and install it. That will end your problems. The cost, for Windows 7 Home Premium OEM, either 32 or 64 bit, is $99.99 currently. Ultimate (which you probably don't need) is twice that or $189.99, and Professional runs $139.99.

Edited by davnel, 05 November 2013 - 06:29 AM.

#14 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:51 AM

Rollerbarbie:

What does the "key" he gave you look like? An real product key consists of 5 groups of 5 characters:

XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.

The "Product ID" number looks like

99999-OEM-9999999-99999.

Don't put the actual key on this forum. Just the form it takes.

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:58 AM

Quite honestly...all these words about the license...mean nothing.

Licensing is the province of Microsoft, no one here or nothing said here is going to change the dialogue between Microsoft and you.

Who did what...when...why...have nothing to do with the fact that Windows is a Microsoft product and Microsoft is the only agency which can impact on the determination of whether an install is valid or not.

If Microsoft says that the key is invalid/illegal...then you should address this with Microsoft.  You do know that they maintain a list of invalid/illegal keys, I hope.

As for your connection speed issues...I suggest uninstalling the current drivers for your connection device...and installing them anew.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users