Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I update to windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 123lalanew

123lalanew

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:02 PM

Yesterday my friends just told me that when he update to win 8.1

his computer just crash, and there is no way for him to fix it

he got very upset

but other of my frineds just update it and enjoy the new version

is that the hardware or software problem for the computer to update to win8.1

i need to use my com everyday

and i want to try the new version

should i update it or not

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:34 PM

8.1 is an optional update which means it doesn't fix any security issues.

So it's totally up to you.

For me it doesn't bring enough interesting features so I opted out and I'm planning on installing it.

See here what's new in 8.1 and decide if you want it: http://lifehacker.com/all-the-new-stuff-in-windows-8-1-587098156

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:18 AM

Updates are a very personal choice and *may*/will impact your system. Every computer system is different with it's own collection of customization, software installs, and hardware installs. Most updates/fixes will be beneficial but some may go very wrong. I will be unable to give you blanket statement of that everything will be alright with your upgrade and/or you will be satisfied with it.

Please have important stuff in at least two places at any given point in time... so when one place *goes away* you have that second place to depend on.

I upgraded to Win 8.1 without any issues but I had an known working good image of my system before I chose to move forward.

It is your system, you may choose to move forward with as little or as much precaution as you see fit.

If you absolutely need to use your computer, have no secondary computer and are unwilling to troubleshoot unforeseen consequences (that may render your computer unable to boot to the OS/Desktop) I would not upgrade. But I would also begin to think about the issue of having only that one computer that I depend on.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst... happy computing.

Edited by AngryRaisin, 05 November 2013 - 03:27 AM.

#4 Chuts

Chuts

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:39 AM

Make a whole disk backup before you do the update.  That way, if the update gives problems you can restore the backup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users