Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer not working.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nosmiley

nosmiley

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:53 PM

I use Windows 7, all updates. I have used Internet Explorer successfully, for 10 years.

It was not working correctly, recently. I was seeing "Internet Explorer" is not the default browser, in Tools>IE options. I was unable to see what was the browser . I downloaded the latest IE 10 from the Microsoft site. When I try to install it, I get a " Cannot continue installing because a newer edition is already installed. ( Never said what the newer one was). I used Revo to  uninstall it . I found some evidence of IE 9 in the Revo uninstall, and removed it as well.

Now I have no IE icons in Revo, or in Windows programs. I tried reinstalling IE 10. It states the install was not successful. I tried a reinstall of IE 10 again , and get the "newer edition is there already."

I have two icons on desktop that have remained throughout the above procedure. They don't indicate the version, but indicate an earlier install date. I also continually get the " Do you want IE to be your default browser ? I have clicked "Yes" probably 25 times.

Never have regained icons showing the earth with the gold ring around it, or the name Internet explorer in any list of installed programs on various programs that usually list programs. Have looked in Microsoft ..... related programs as well.

Thanks for any helpful comments.

When I use one of the desktop IE icons, computer opens to www.Myyahoo.com  , which is ok. In the past. I used that page, and always had IE listed as a program.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nosmiley

nosmiley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:02 PM

In programs and features> turn Windows features on, or off, Internet Explorer 10 has its' box checked as ON.
Thanks

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:23 PM

Can you open IE browser? If yes, go to Help menu and click About to check on the current version being used. To uninstall IE10 is usually in the installed Windows updates (Control Panel). Set Default Programs in Control Panel is found in Programs -Default Programs.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users