Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft .Net Framework

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Steve80

Steve80

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:40 PM

I am trying to install a (relatively) old application that says it needs "at least .Net Framework 2.0".  My question is :  if I install .Net Framework 4.0, would it include all the previous versions 1.0 through 3.0 ?

Or do I need to collect and install the separate versions, each with its multitude of individual updates ?  (My application hasn't liked .Net Framework 4.0, which may have answered my question !)

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:10 PM

It's my understanding that .NET Frameworks build upon each other incrementally

Older versions should not be uninstalled; when a version is recommended and you don't have it then get it

http://www.microsoft.com/net/download/earlier-versions

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

2.0 is the base version required by older apps/drivers.  Since there is no compatibility problem between versions...I have 2.0, 3.5, SP1 and 4.0 installed.

The versions are not necessarily cumulative...3.5, SP1 has parts that relate to older/earlier version but I don't believe 4.0 or 4.5 are cumulative.  If they were cumulative, it seems to me that the earlier versions would not still be available as redistributable downloads, since every version of Windows comes with some version of NET installed.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 November 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

Yes Louis is right

#5 Steve80

Steve80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:59 AM

Ugh - I shall have to collect them all after my clean install !

Thanks, guys

Steve

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

You don't need "all" of them...only the versions called for by a particular application or driver.

When developers write a program, he/she may incorporate a given version of MS.NET into the functional structure of the program.  IME, every time a given program requires a given version...an onscreen error message will tell user that such is required (if not already installed) or the developer will ensure that the particular version desired in part of the install package.  Microsoft typically includes the version required as part of the install...other developers may list it as a prerequisite for proper install and/or include a prompt for desired version as part of the program install.  I've never come across a situation where I was unaware that a given version was necessary for proper function of a program.

Not all programs need a given version...many programs may require no version.  It all depends on the program developer.

OTOH...if you install versions...I don't believe it will do any harm to your system...you will have just installed an unnecessary part of Windows.  I have run some of my systems temporarily without any version installed...with no consequences other than the prompt to install a given version whenever I later installed an application/driver requiring such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users