Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Reinstall A Game

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hawka

Hawka

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:11 AM

Hi guys,

I hope someone can help.

I was recently infected with malware, and having to do virus scan after virus scan I removed games on the PC that could be reinstalled once my PC was clean.

It is now clean thanks to Jet Ian at BC, but I'm getting an error when trying to install "Command & Conquer Generals"

The error message is "_is3.tmp has encounted a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for this inconvienance"

Any idea why this is happening and how can I fix it?

Thanks heaps

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:03 AM

Is your CD dirty/scratched? I get the same thing, but it's a different file.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 Hawka

Hawka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 02:38 PM

yep...on close inspection there are 2 long scratches, one on each side....thanks for your help. my son is not happy
:thumbsup:

#4 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:58 AM

No problem... I'm not happy either. I tried to install it when my friend and I tried to LAN, sucker didn't install.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:26 PM

Hawka,

Before you dismiss that great game, try cleaning the discs. You could also get a "CD saver" which should help to remove the scratches. You can pick them up at walmart, electronics boutique or other stores. Clean it up then do the following:

Make sure that the game is uninstalled. If you have the expansion pack Zero Hour, make sure that's uninstalled too.
Open up a windows search (Start>Search>Files or Folders). Now, type in the following exactly as it appears:

*Command and Conquer

Delete all files that it comes up with. If you also have the expansion pack "Zero Hour", then type the following in exactly as it appears:

*Zeor Hour

Delete all files that it comes up with.

Don't forget the "*" (which is shift+8, or the asteric symbol), as that will return all files with those names on it. Now, restart your computer and try reinstalling the games again. If you have the expansion pack Zero hour, be sure to install the original game "Command and Conquer: Generals" first (Generals is orange/yellow colored, Zero Hour is blue/white colored).

I've run into the same exact thing. It was because the computer keeps some files after the game itself is uninstalled (like custom made maps that you've downloaded, etc.). When it goes to reinstall the game, it causes it to mess up (wish I could be more specific why, but I dunno why!!!). I did that search like I had said, restarted my computer, and it reinstalled no problems.

If the disc is scratched, contact EA. They might send you a replacement (after you send the original back). If not, then the good news is that the game is only $20-$30 for the original and the expansion pack (like 2 games in one) at most places.

Hope this helps!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#6 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:16 PM

*Zeor Hour

I dont think that's the correct way to spell it. lol

Couldn't help but to rub it in. :thumbsup:

- Rick Cook

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:50 PM

OMG! One of these days I'll learn how to use spell check.

So, spell it right and then do the search.

Ugh.....I'm gonna go hide under a rock now....thanks legoman786!!! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users