Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell dell inspiron - No USB driver installed

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ident

ident

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

I'm trying to use a sata/ide usb adapter that i just brought. I brrowed a laptop to rig it up to but its refusing to detect new hardware. Run the windows fix and errors there is no driver software installed for usb controller.

Other things i haved tried:

1) removed usb entries in device manager and scanned for changes.

2) sevenforums suggeted deleting a file from system32\driver support and restarting

Summary
        Operating System
            Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
        CPU
            AMD A4-3300M    55 °C
            Llano 32nm Technology
        RAM
            4.00GB DDR3 @ 672MHz (9-6-5-15)
        Motherboard
            Dell Inc. 0X7W03 (P0)    56 °C
        Graphics
            Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
            512MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6480G (Dell)    54 °C
            1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6470M (Dell)
            CrossFire Disabled
        Hard Drives
            466GB Western Digital WDC WD50 00BPVT-75HXZT3 SATA Disk Device (SATA)    41 °C
        Optical Drives
            HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GT50N SATA CdRom Device
        Audio
            IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:56 AM

To make sure your Going from SATA to USB, if so, then are you using the USB with + or power port.  Depending on the motherboard.  (had the same issue in the E Series Dells)    Also, SATA does not provide power on its own, it needs to be plugged in, or you need to plug the two cables into two usb ports

the cable for it could be One connector, and two on the other side.  The main cable is the data+power, the other is the extra Power.  USB gives Max 3.3V, SATA usually need 5 or 12V to work.

If all else fails pull your CD drive and connect to that if you can.

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#3 ident

ident
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

The adapter come with its own power supply. I have plugged both usb ports in. I have also tried using a wired keyboard + usb stick. Nothing is ever shown in my computer or picked up.

#4 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

What is model of your Dell computer?

Thank you,

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#5 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

aaahh, got it, To be sure is the cable from the power outlet to the connector getting power?  Try plugging something else info it, does that get recognized?  I know it sounds stupid but I have driven 3 hrs just to plug a machine back in. 

Also do you have another SATA connector, they are known to be cheap and break.

I assume you are,

1. Disconnect adapter from USB port
2. Attach drive to adapter
3. Connect adapter to USB port direct to computer, NO USB Hub

Also are u using a laptop or tower, I ask cause a laptop can only support 2.5, 3.5 needs power always, and sometimes 2.5  Look at your power specs. 

When you connect does the HD start spinning?  If not its not getting power, and you need to try a new adapter. 

let me know

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#6 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:39 AM

you know I should read the posts, again and again.  Sorry,

so nothing is able to plug into your USBs, huh.  Are they active?  the USB?  IS PnP enabled?

Go here if you dont know how to do it

Microsoft Fixit    This link has both, a auto program that you can run or you can do the following

this is from BurrWalnut

Here are a few of my possible solutions in the fight against USB (Unreliable Serial Bus) problems. Make sure your computer is free from malware before trying them. Read through and try any that seem significant. In no particular sequence, they are:

1. If the device has worked in the recent past, use system restore to return the computer to a state before it stopped working. Unfortunately, the odds are against it, but it has worked for others, so it‘s worth trying.
2. Access Device Manager by going to the Windows Orb (Start), type devmgmt.msc and press Enter to see if the drive appears under ‘Disk drives‘. If it does, right-click it > Properties > Policies Tab and check if you have a ‘Quick Removable’ check box. A USB external ‘drive’ should have a check in this box. Restart the computer if you change anything.
3. Remove all USB devices, except mouse and keyboard of course, restart and try the faulty device again. Also, restart the computer with the faulty USB drive already plugged in and, if appropriate, powered up.
4. As it’s a storage device, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Folder Options > View Tab and make sure there is not a tick in’ Hide empty drives in the Computer folder‘ and further down, confirm that there is a tick in ‘Show drive letters’.  Now go to the Windows Orb (Start), type diskmgmt.msc and press Enter, then right-click the disk’s graphic icon (or unallocated space) and change the drive letter to one nearer the end of the alphabet. If it doesn’t have a letter, assign one to it.
5. Microsoft’s USBview.exe might help, scroll down then download it from here http://www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities.htm  It doesn’t need installing. Click on an item in the left pane and look for Connection Status in the right pane. If any USB ports are missing, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Devices and Printers > Add a device.

good luck

CZARBOOM 

#7 ident

ident
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:42 PM

What is model of your Dell computer?

Thank you,

dell inspiron m5110

@czarboom

Yes the connecter is lit up. Also if ai plub a fake cigerate into thye usb that also lights up. I dont have another sata connector. I just litteraly brought this and opened the box. iv already run that tool and it stated "Run the windows fix and errors "there is no driver software installed for usb controller.""

Unfortunetly none of them worked :(

#8 ident

ident
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

Ok i have just found another connecter for a usb and it worked on the laptop. Unlucky enough the first One turns out to be broken. Sods law. So it's got to be the sata reader.  odd

#9 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

Try update chipset and/or usb driver.

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#10 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:13 PM

yeah those things are know to be crappy, glad you found it.  Remember, power, connections, and cables.  Then go out from there.  Good job man

CZARBOOM 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users