Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Connection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sheeba

Sheeba

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 03:30 AM

Hi everyone! For the first time since owning my laptop, I received a pop up message telling me that there was a wireless connection available in the area. As I love to work out in the garden on my laptop, but can't connect to the internet out there, I thought, wow! that'll be great if I can connect via wireless. The wireless connection on offer is from a nearby university.
Anyway, I clicked on the bubble and agreed to connect and my computer told me that I was indeed connected with a good connection at that! However, when I tried to get onto the internet I was given the 'unavailable' page and the message saying to refresh and check internet connections.
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or what I have to check? I'm a bit dumb when it comes to stuff like this and I thought that the connection would just be automatic.
Any help would be much appreciated - thank you!
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:27 AM

Do you pay the university for access to their wireless network?

You may be in a 'hotspot' where the university's wiresless signal is available, but it would not be legal to hook into it unless you subscribe.

I am afraid if this is the case then we cannot help you here at Bleeping Computer. That is not what we do here. According to the BC posting rules:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user.

Of course, please let me know if I misunderstand your intentions.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Sheeba

Sheeba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:36 AM

Hi there
Thanks for replying. No, I don't subscribe to the university and I don't intend to use their network if it is illegal to do so.
My situation is this - I do a lot of work on my laptop and a lot of business via internet. Sometimes I get fed up with being my home office and want to get some air in the garden. I understand that 'wireless' can mean I can connect to the internet using my own ISP and a router. However, my husband and I are going off travelling in the next year and I would like to be able to do my work 'on the road' so to speak and, rather than having to visit an internet cafe, would like to be able to connect from the comfort of my own laptop and hopefully our own caravan. So I thought if I started to learn about wireless now and learn how to use hotspots properly, I'll be well prepared when we go off.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the wireless set up. I really want to learn how I can use hotspots on the road, legally and ethically! Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:42 AM

What you want to do is not possible with current wireless. There is just not enough coverage to have adequate reception everywheres. Here is a site that you can use to find a public hotspot.
There is an option hat will give you almost 100% coverage. It will fall off greatly in bad weather, valleys, and tree cover. HughNet provides 700kbs/128kbs satellite internet service. Like all broadband it is not promised, rather stated you can possibly reach that speed.
If you need that service while rolling down the road you can use a auto-tracking disk. This has become very common on motor coaches.
http://www.satellitedish.com/cata0054.htm
The big down side is you can expect to pay $600+ up front and $60 to $70 per month. Another $2700 for the auto-Tracking dish.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:46 AM

One way while travelling is to get a dial-up connection that you can access from any city you plan on visiting. You can check their dial-up numbers for the cities in question before you leave. This can be done on the cheap, since some dial-up companies charge as little as $5.50 per month (American)

Then there's forms of broadband that are available from companies such as Cingular and Sprint. Check out this article.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 10:49 AM

By the by, you can access your own broadband connection from your garden if you have a wireless router in your home. If you have trouble getting a signal, you can add a booster.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:20 AM

Herk has a great idea about the router. If by chance you already have a router you can attach a Wireless Access Point to the router.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:36 PM

Also there are many coffee houses who offer wireless internet connection. Some are free, some cost money, some just require you to register - giving them a valid email account.

There are also Kinko's and such places around the country that will rent you time on a computer.

Of course, the public libraries pretty much all have free access to the internet. I use this option a lot.

I have also seen some national gas stations starting to offer wireless internet. You need to pay them a small fee, but then you can pull into any one of their gas stations, and from the confort of your own car get connected to the internet wirelessly.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users