Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP SP3 Running Very Slow at Times

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jstonend

jstonend

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:53 AM

Hello,

I'm running WIndowx XP Pro - SP3 on a Dell Dimension Desktop Computer - lately it seems that the computer is running in slow motion, but only sometimes. Starting programs takes a while, right clicking causes a delay - its like the computer has to take time to think about what I'm doing before it lets me do it - it seems that once I start doing something then I'm ok, but getting there is like walking through wet concrete.

I've run a complete scan using Norton Internet Security (with latest updates) which came up clean. I've run a complete scan using the latest MalWareBytes, which also came up clean.

I'm looking for the next step of advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:06 AM

Please download [url=http://www.filehippo.com/download_speccy]Speccy and install it, upon completion open it up and then go to File and Publish Snapshot and post the resulting link here.

#3 jstonend

jstonend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:16 AM

Here is the requested link: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7qKsbtARc7gTzezNzmWPi8V

Thanks!!

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

Please download and use the Norton Removal Tool and download an anti-virus like http://www.avast.com or Microsoft Security Essentials and see if it speeds up.

#5 jstonend

jstonend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:10 AM

Sounds good, but is there a problem with using Norton Internet Security - I'd hate to just ditch something I paid for for no good reason. Once I do use the removal tool, what do you think I should use for a firewall?

Thanks.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

Norton and anything from Symantec has been notorious for causing system wide issues, and how is it that you connect to the Internet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users