Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Windows detected a Hard Disk problem"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:08 AM

Hello all,

I've got this issue that really has me concerned. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on a Gateway touchscreen PC. I have no idea what the exact model of the PC is. Anyway, I was using Google Chrome, surfing on Youtube, when I decided to open up another tab to look at something else. That is when the following window, popped up:

774y.png

This is alarming for two reasons. 1.) It just popped out nowhere, with no prior warning. 2.) At this point in time, I have absolutely nowhere to back up the data on this computer. There are lot of important things on here, such as personal documents, family photos/pictures of my children that I don't have anywhere else, original songs I've recorded etc. I looked around Google, in a panic, and found nothing that could really help me out. Though I also could've possibly been too shocked, to really think straight. What I did end up doing was, downloading a trial of a program called "HD Tune Pro" and ran a test. I have no idea if anyone is familiar with this program, but here is what came up after the test was done, and I went under the "Health" tab of the program. The following screens are of the test results:

ilps.png

gqui.png

No idea what any of that really means. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is this possibly a serious problem, or can it be rectified, at least to buy me a little bit of time, until I can get an External HD to back everything up? I simply can't afford to but an External HD or a replacement HD, right now. I already had one scare, a few months ago, where I lost some files on my PC, only to have them show up in the "Virtual Store" directory. This computer has had some odd behavior this year, and I'm honestly about ready to toss the bloody thing off of a bridge. It's really irking me that these problems keep arising, with little resources to fix them. Any suggestions, ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:59 AM

First, before anything else, backup/copy any data you want to save.  Don't run any diagnostics, don't use the system for anything else until you backup your data.

OK, warnings out of the way.  For further testing here is a link to the Seatools page.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

Looking at your reallocated/pending sector counts, it is time for a new hard drive/SSD.  I don't know of any magic software that can fix it or extend it's life.

EDIT:  Forgot link, thanx  rotor123

Edited by dpunisher, 04 November 2013 - 07:38 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:06 PM

SeaTools for Windows

SeaTools for DOS

Run the Short and the Long Tests.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 TheRealJustan

TheRealJustan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:16 AM

Well, the blasted thing is going so slow, I can't even open up a browser to download that. I'm having to use my old cellphone to even respond to this. Now the message is saying to backup the data immediately or risk losing it. There is about 300+ GB worth of data on this thing, the best I option I have right now is about maybe 16GB, at best, worth of blank DVDs to back up some of it on. But it's running so gosh darn slow, I doubt I'd even be able to do THAT. Ugh! If I had an extra drive, I'd just clone the old one. I just shut the whole thing down, until I can come up with a plan. This came on so sudden. I just don't get it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users