Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New To Networking

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 12:04 AM

Ok so this morning I set up a wired home network to share a connection between 2 computers to AOL/Time Warner Cable broadband as well as file and printer sharing.. Everything is going fine, except for the extreme slowness while web browsing or downloading. I realize that both computers have to split the bandwidth, but even with one computer off, the other one still hangs.

Im using a Network Everywhere Cable/DSL 4-Port routher. And I Upgraded the firmware, I've used Modem max, and Some other program to boost my connection But to no avail.. can someone please tell me what I need to do to get these computers up to par with optimized download speed? Before I networked the computers, my old compaq had an average d/l of about 100-150 kbp/s. Now neither ocmputer will pass 5 kbp/s.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:37 PM

anyone?

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:49 PM

Hello. Start by clearing the cookies, temp internet files, and history. You have two computers, but just networked them together today? Have you been using both on the internet taking turns connecting each? They may have the same IP address. Go to Start>Run>cmd>ipconfig /release. When the prompt comes back up type in ipconfig /renew. Try the internet.
If this does not work unplug your router and modem. If the modem has a battery back up remove the battery. Turn off all your computers and devices.
Leave the modem off for one minute then turn it back on. Wait one minute then turn the router on. After one more minute turn all computers and devices on.
This will reset your WAN and LAN IP addresses.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:00 AM

Actually I just bought a new computer so I only had one in my house and no need for a network. Im switching ISP's in a few days, AOL is a major contribution to the problem, I know that for a fact. I have AOL broadband, and its not very good.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 12:55 AM

If I may ask who are you switching to? I use Cox Cable.

#6 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:07 PM

Im switching to Road Runner. COX? I have a friend that has that, I heard they're not very good. Is that true?

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:51 AM

I started as a beta tester back in the mid 90's. I love them. As a matter of fact I switched my telephone to Cox VoIP. Very good service.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users