Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequency whine on newer ivybridge generation intel processors/graphics

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nexus666

nexus666

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

I got a new laptop/tablet recently and honestly, if I knew it was going to have this problem. I wouldn't have gotten one.  I've done many things to try and fix the issue from my research, but nothing ultimately solves.  

It is a lenovo yoga 11s running Windows 8 with an intel ivybridge i3 processor combined with intel hd 4000 graphics. I also  want to mention that it has a ssd.   I believe the ssd could potentially be the culprit as well but I really have no idea.  anyways, for whatever reason, (and this issue is posted extensively around the internet) these mobo combos emit a kind of high pitched frequency which sometimes oscillates a bit.  

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/CPU-Noise/td-p/1008533/page/3

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/High-pitched-tone-with-fan-noise/td-p/940431

etc. 

the main solution I found involved using this workaround part fix : 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975530/en-us  which involves adding this regkey : 

1. At a command prompt, run the following command:
    reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x0007e066

None of these fixes work for me now... but this one seemed to initially.  Now it is whining again.

The noise is extremely distracting and bothersome and it seems to also be occuring for other similar cpu laptops so I don't think lenovo is to blame, but rather intel with the chip/motherboard design.  The microsoft surface, dell 12 xps, and etc. all have similar issues people are posting about : 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surfpro-surfhardware/surface-pro-coil-whine/96395e7f-5693-4056-b056-0fafd9ffc53b

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19510702.aspx

It's really noticeable in a quiet room and late at night.  In a public place, outdoors or even indoors in a library, or with a television on, it is scarcely noticeable, but it is still there.

So, I have posted about this topic on lenovo forums as well but there are already so many other threads it was mostly ignored.  I figured I would try and ask this community for any suggestions.  Apparently the issue from most of these links explains the culprit is the power saving c3, c4, etc states of the cpu (ivybridge gen.).  The solutions involve :

a.) adding a reg key to disable the lower power saving states

b.) disable cpu idling speeds in power management 

c.) navigating to an existing reg key and changing a specific dword value from 1 to 0.

d.) changing the minimum/maximum cpu power/speed in the power management options

I have tried all three and none of them seem to solve the issue. Is there possibly some way i could dignose the concern by forcing the fans on with speedfan perhaps? I don't really understand what I'm doing in speedfan but I would be interested in trying that out.  

When I first tried a.), it seemed to work somewhat.  My batt life dropped from 4-6 hours to a solid 3.5 and the laptop burned hot.  It did what it was supposed to do, and cranked the cpu up to full speed which caused the fans to crank in as well and the laptop to run hot.   The high pitched whine was gone (or perhaps just masked by the excess noise? <<<this seems like a likely possibility, but it did really seem like the frequency whine was gone.)  Unfortunately, it no longer does this.  I keep trying all of the fixes over and over a.) b.) c.) d.) etc. and nothing will make it run hot and make the coil whine high frequency noise stop.  I'm not sure if it was from a windows update or what, but I wish I could make the whine go away again.  It feels like it's  giving me tinnitus.  When you hold your head up to the right side of the fan/power supply/usb port it is most audible. 

Does anyone have any fresh ideas?  I just cannot believe they could release a processor generation with these problems.  I assume it is in their effort to find a way to increase battery life in fast processors, but with this frequency whine happening? it is simply not a solution.  I would choose a two hour battery span and a hot laptop with no whine over this problem.  

Current new things I've tried:

-Updated all the latest chipset/video/usb drivers.

-Updated to Windows 8.1

-Constantly switched between and remodified a.)b.)c.)d.) from above and removed and re-enabled and etc.

Nothing. Does anyone think the SSD could be the culprit instead? 

Any other possible solutions I could try?  I don't know if this will get read, as I realize it is somewhat long but I needed to explain all the elaborate details that I have been attempting... 

Thanks for reading, (if anyone does, lol) and thanks for any suggestions :)

Edited by nexus666, 03 November 2013 - 07:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:42 PM

Did you apply the hot fix? I didn't read where you did.

#3 nexus666

nexus666
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:12 PM

It's not the hotfix, thats unrelated.  Its what I copy/pasted in bold which is from the 'workaround' part of the microsoft hotfix link.  http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/CPU-Noise/td-p/1008533  this is where the guy originally linked that mirosoft link.  Apparently this is supposed to disable some of the power saving states.  Anyway it worked originally but no longer.  

I found another thing to try, from this link at the bottom post (the one in german and also translated to english) http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Idea-Windows-based-Tablets-and/Yoga-13-Fan-Noise/m-p/1168357  

I loaded up the program, 'notebook fan control' with the modified yoga settings but it said my laptop is not the same model.  Trying it regardless doesn't seem to stop the fans.  What this is supposed to do is force the fans to run slower/off which makes the laptop hotter but quieter.  Another attempt tossed out the window lol.  

Is there a way using speedfan to force the fans to blow full blast or something? I can't figure out how I would enable such a thing.  It would just be something to try to see if making them blow hard prevents the coil whine.  

Anyway, like I said, I have no idea if the sound is actually the cpu, the fans themselves, or even the ssd... but when i first tried all those 4 fixes I listed, it DID seem to fix the issue.  It made the cpu run full speed and hot, which killed the batt life and had loud fans 100% of the time with alot of heat, but... it stopped the intolerable whining noise.  Currently, when I game or something and the cpu is under load, the whine seems to increase, which is new behavior than what it did originally.  This makes me wonder if it is simply emanating from the fans.  I have no idea.  This problem sucks..  heh, thanks for any other ideas.  I have of course, scanned in a multitude of malware/spyware/antivir programs and found nothing.

Edited by nexus666, 04 November 2013 - 12:15 PM.

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

How about this one Go all the way down:
http://uselesspuzzles.blogspot.com/2012/11/how-to-fix-lenovo-yoga-fan-noise.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users