Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Diagnostic Utilities

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lone Star

Lone Star

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:17 PM

Hello
Is anybody familiar with the Drive Health program from Helexis Software Development? I would
like to know how reliable it is. I have been running it for about 10 or 11 months, and it now says
that my HD is going to start to deteriorate on or about Tuesday and I should backup my data.
I also ran into a problem trying to backup my C drive (NTFS) onto an external HD (FAT32). The
error message said it could only backup about 4g, when there is about 111g more space on
the external HD.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 03:28 PM

Lone Star:

I am not familiar with the tool that you mentioned. I would be inclined to try a tool from the manufacturer of the hard disk to check the integrity of your drive. What is the make and model of your drive? The following link should be helpful in troubleshooting this problem.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools

You also mentioned backing up files to your external hard drive. I am not sure if you are trying to backup the entire drive. I would suggest that you try copying only data files that are critical. At least, you will those backed up in case something goes wrong with the drive. What was the exact message that you received when you attempted the backup. Is your hard disk under warranty?

Hope that helps.
JC

#3 Lone Star

Lone Star
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:52 PM

Hi
Thank you for responding.
The crisis is over. The program must have had an anomaly because the warnings are gone.
I bought this SONY VGC-RB34G on Ubid as a refirb about 16 or 17 months ago for $585 for
the CPU only. It has a Maxtor 200G 7500rpm HD. I upgraded from a Dell 1.8GH dog.
I am still going to get a Western Digital 150G SATA 10k rpm drive. As you can tell, I like
SPEED.

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:04 PM

Ok, thanks for letting us know.
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic