Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem: Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter (code 10)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MiiHere44

MiiHere44

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

Here is what happened: I have a DELL XPS all in one computer. I reinstalled my operating system (windows vista) and wiped my computer clean. Before I did this my wireless broadcom adapter was working. I have reinstalled all the drivers including trying to install the broadcom network adapter. I've gone to dells website and put in my tag and it pulls up drivers I need, which I installed. I've checked under device manager and the only driver with a yellow triangle "!" is the broadcom 802.11n networkd adapter. I've tried updating, but am told I have the latest software, and when I troubleshoot the problem it tells me "this device cannot start (code 10)" When I tried to install the driver and got to extracting the networkd adapter it doesn't "run" any type of setup.exe - it just opens a folder with files, but without any .exe file. I had this problem when I first bought the computer and wiped it, but it was under warranty so Dell remotely took over my computer and fixed it, but that was many years ago and I don't know remember what they did.

I've tried installing the broadcom network adapter driver from the disk that came with it, and from the internet (i'm currently plugged into my modem).

I'm fairly computer friendly, but this is a problem I have yet to be able to figure out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:13 PM

What is the service tag for your Dell?

#3 MiiHere44

MiiHere44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

Hey! I actually figured it out. After I extracted the Broadcom driver file (and nothing happened except a folder opened) I clicked on "update driver" or something of the likes and instead of browsing the internet, I picked that driver file and it installed.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:18 PM

Weird that nothing happened, I would expected the extracted files from Dell would have started the installation of such.

#5 MiiHere44

MiiHere44
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:22 PM

You'd think. Or at least there be a visable .exe file so I can start the install myself. For some reason its always needed to be installed this way.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:23 PM

Glad you got it fixed, and glad you posted the solution happy mobile surfing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users