Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

*urgent* Connecting Projector To Laptop

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:07 PM

I am one of the 4 technicians at this play at school. I am the only one that can operate the sound console, light console and play video through a project. I have hooked up the school's computer to a projector many times using a VGA cable. Now I have to put the pojector alot farther away (about 50ft) so we took a long composite video cable and hooked up to the composite video in on the projector then we connected the other end to the cable to a composite-to-s-video connection and then into the TV-Out on there computer.

BTW The computer is a Dell Inspiron 5160 with the Nvidia Go5200 graphics. Now the problem is that I don't know where the hell to go in the setting to send my screen via this cable to the projector. I looked at the Dell and Nvidia site and in the Nvidia site I saw a screenshot of the menu (this was an FAQ response for a Desktop) and it had this place that I could go to change for dual monitors. I don't have this option (I think because it is a laptop).

I have tried pressing the "Fn" key with number 8 (wich is the LCD/CRT labeled button) wich is what I use to send the signal to the vga cable before.

I would really like to do this because this way we can hide the projector in a box (don't worry we put a vent in the back) but if we can't we have to drag the projector out into the alley way near the end of the play... and I have to keep the laptop close to the console for two reasons. One to operate the lights and sound and two the wire to connect sound is not long enough...

Help is need urgent the Last pratice I got is Tuesday (I need the bugs worked out) and the show is on Wednesday.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:25 PM

Hi Klinkaroo,

so we took a long composite video cable and hooked up to the composite video in on the projector then we connected the other end to the cable to a composite-to-s-video connection and then into the TV-Out on there computer.

I think I know what you are asking... lol. Treat it just as before. The controls that toggle video between you laptop screen/ your laptop screen and projector/ and just the projector, should not have changed. Yes, that is usually a the {FN} function key and another key... sounds like what you described. The issue is the composite to s-video out converter.

Making sure I understand:
You have s-video out on the laptop. You are plugging into a RCA style yellow jack on the projector. There is something in between acting as a converter? That something is probably causing our issue. Can you go s-video total length to projector? Do you have a VCR that can accept s-video as input?

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 04:41 PM

Yeah should be able to find a vcr somewhere in a school with 2000 students... :thumbsup: thanks for that idea

Yeah the reason why we have to do this is that we don't have a 50ft s-video cable... and not really sure where I can find one on such short notice.

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:28 PM

Just in case I can't find a VCR with a s-video in do you have any other suggestions?

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:25 PM

The reason for the vcr with s-video input is.... you can use the laptop's output via s-video to the vcr. Use the vcr as a passthrough ampliphier and use RCA cabling from the yellow output port of the vcr to send its signal to the projector - using the projectors yellow input port. The vcr just strengthens the output signal of the laptop and also converts it into the form used with the rca cable. We are substituting the vcr for your conversion box.

What is the make / model of the conversion box?

Have you used the menu to make sure it is accepting a signal from the yellow port? Most projectors seek and switch to that signal automatically.

I will be around later and in chat. Just holler!

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:30 PM

This is what you need(except for the price). Wireless VGA connection
This is alot less expensive but some are scared off by the company. This company made all of Radio Shack'sŪ video equipment for years. I have used over 100 cameras from them in school, fire station, buniesses, and homes over the passed 6 years. They are inexpensive not cheap.
Wireless VGA transceiver
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:11 AM

Thanks acklan I will talk to the school about buying one of those it could be really usefull but I won't be able to get my hands on it in time sadly.

Rigel will you be on chat tonight (Tuesday) I will be at the school and I have internet acess on the laptop. I will try to find a VCR in that school with s-video in but if I can't do you have any other suggestions?

BTW The converter is not a box or anything it is basically a little piece of platic.

Here are some pics. Took them quick before school...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 07:59 AM

That looks like a double female RCA connector?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#9 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:03 AM

Wireless really is the way to go, I was shooting for something you may have on hand. You can buy the wireless setups at many places - they work well. Have it next day air shipped to you.

I have never used what you have. Has it ever worked?

rigel

That looks like a double female RCA connector?

I looked at it as a female s-video to female rca acklan.

Edited by rigel, 02 May 2006 - 08:05 AM.

#10 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:25 AM

Yeah sorry about the pics... It's a male s-video to female rca.

Here is a better pic of the s-video side.
Posted Image

It has worked before on my Desktop PC here at home... but I don't think my pc detects if something is actually in the plug I just say send the signal by there and it does it...

#11 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:37 AM

Its a Passive device that probably has some electronics in the middle.

What we know? the current setup worked with you desktop. The laptop setup worked with a shorter s-video cable. Anything else?

Do you have an averkey or TV View device in the building?

#12 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:45 AM

TV View? Averkey?

We might but not sure what that is... If you are talking if I can get my hands on a tv then yes I can get my hands on one.

BTW I can get the keys to ANY door in the building :thumbsup: so shouldn't be too hard to get my hands on anything a school has.

Not saying I am stealing just saying that I can get into the TV repair shop and all that stuff...

BTW I am in the chat untill 10AM

Edited by Klinkaroo, 02 May 2006 - 08:46 AM.

#13 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:54 PM

Any word?

#14 Silver_beetle

Silver_beetle

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:02 AM

I work for an AV company, and we'd never do that long of a run with compsite video. I'd get yourself a long VGA cable. Computer stores should have them, or if you're in or near a big city, an AV rental house should have 'em as well. I assume you hit the input select on the projector? Most offer the option of automatically searching for an input, but that can be turned off.

Go with the long VGA cable, though. Wireless VGA is OK, but its too subject to interference, IMHO.

#15 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:39 PM

Well we got it working decided to but the laptop on stage (hidden on the side) and we managed to hook up the sound. But now everytime I need to play music I have to radio the other guy to turn on the speakers....

I am going to talk to the school about getting some proper equipement cause this is ridiculous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users