Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer locking up - can't figure out why

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mcomp72

mcomp72

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

I’m really struggling with a computer problem, and I’m hoping the fine folks who read this forum might be able to offer some help.

About a week ago, my computer started locking up on me at random times. It would just freeze – the cursor would no longer move, and the keyboard did nothing. The hard drive light did not blink at all once this happened, so the computer appeared to be totally frozen. I waited 10 minutes one time when this happened, but nothing.

Other times, it would freeze for about 5 seconds and then start working again. 75% of the time it would not start working again, but 25% it would after 5 seconds. Once or twice the screen went blank for a few seconds, and then it came back, saying there was an error with the video driver.

I have had this computer for 2 years, the entire time running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, and it’s worked fine. I haven’t made a change to the hardware in about a year.

The only thing I did update recently was the nvidia video driver. Once the problems started happening, I rolled back to the previous driver I had been using, but that didn’t solve the problem.

I tried all kinds of things:
- can CCleaner to repair any potential registry issues
- ran various virus and spyware scanners, and the computer came up clean
- did a CLEAN install of the latest nvidia driver
- ran memtest for 8 hours, and it found no errors
- ran in Windows safe mode for a couple days, and there were no freeze ups
- installed Ubuntu on my machine, and ran that for a couple of days. Although it ran really slowly, there were no freeze ups.

No matter what I tried, the problem persisted, so I figured it was so kind of corruption in Windows somewhere, so I wiped the hard drive and did a fresh install of Windows.

As I was starting to reinstall my programs, the freeze happened again, and it stayed frozen. I waited a couple of minutes, but it did not come back. So, clearly a fresh install of Windows didn’t solve the problem. I have no idea what to do at this point. If anyone here has any ideas, I’m all ears.

Here are my specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-870A-USB3
Processor: 3.2ghz AMD Phenom II X4 955
RAM: 4 GB
Video card: nvidia Geforce GTX 550 Ti

If there is any other information I can provide, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:15 PM

Did you uninstall all of the Nvidia drivers before you installed the new drivers?

If you did, did you uninstall the Graphics drivers last?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mcomp72

mcomp72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:37 PM

Did you uninstall all of the Nvidia drivers before you installed the new drivers?

If you did, did you uninstall the Graphics drivers last?

I ran a program called Driver Fusion before installing the new Nvidia driver, which was supposed to remove ALL traces of the old Nvidia drivers.  Then, when I installed the newest driver, I did it with CLEAN INSTALL turned on during installation.

When I wiped my hard drive and reinstalled Windows, I installed the latest Nvidia driver, and thus there had not been any other Nvidia drivers present on the system before that one.  Still, the freeze ups happen.

#4 alexstone

alexstone

• Banned Spammer
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:32 AM

I had the same problems when my hdd was going to gie :(

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:57 AM

I had the same problems when my hdd was going to gie :(

The symptoms presented so far could be attributable to several things, including the hdd.  But there is no indication at this point to warrant testing it. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

mcomp72,

Please boot into Safe Mode and run this for a while to see if the problem persists in Safe Mode.  You can run Safe Mode with Networking to work online.

Safe Mode has a limited number of drivers running, one of the drivers not loading in Safe Mode are the Nvidia drivers.  Windows has a native graphics driver which it uses while in Safe Mode, this is why the graphics quality is poor.

Edited by dc3, 04 November 2013 - 09:02 AM.

#7 mcomp72

mcomp72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

On Sunday night I grew so frustrated, I decided to replace the video card.  I figured it was not software related, since I had just reinstalled Windows fresh and the problem continued.  I took a guess that it was the video card.

No more issues since replacing the it, and it's been about 36 hours.  I'm not ready to declare victory just yet, but if another 48 hours passes with no freezes, then I will feel confident.  The freezes had been happening generally once a day, sometimes two.

The odds thing is that when I ran in Safe Mode prior to changing the video card, the problem did not happen.  I ran in Safe Mode for about 48 hours with no problems.  So, I don't really understand why, unless maybe it was the RAM on the video card, and that particular part of the RAM was never used while in Safe Mode.  Or else it was just dumb luck that the problem didn't happen during that time.

I'll post back here in a couple more days and let you know if the problem has come back or not.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

Safe Mode has a limited number of drivers running, one of the drivers not loading in Safe Mode are the Nvidia drivers.  Windows has a native graphics driver which it uses while in Safe Mode, this is why the graphics quality is poor.

This is why the problem stopped.

I hope this resolves your problem.  If it doesn't, let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users