Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys E2000 Router Won't Allow Connections to Other Computers on LAN

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kjm782

kjm782

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:36 AM

I have had a Linksys E2000 router for a few years.  I have one wired connection and several wireless connections in my house.  Up until now I haven't had any problems and I haven't changed any settings or added any other computers.  The router stops allowing connections between computers on the LAN.  If I unplug the router and then replug it in, the connection works again for a little while before stopping at some point (usually within a day).  So, it is definitely an issue with the router as far as I can tell.  Connections to the internet for all of the devices are never affected.

All of the computers on my network have static IP addresses.  I can't connect to other computers for file sharing, viewing the web server on my printer, etc.  Trying to ping the other computers also does not work.  Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can try to fix this?  I'm really not sure where to even start.  Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

What version(s) of windows are we talking about? How many? Does rebooting the PCs fix it or you just reboot the router? 

Just FYI, my experience is 3 - 5 years of router life then its time for a new one or if there is nothing wrong with the ports or the wireless try putting a new firmware on it. If Linksys doesn't have one you could put a dd-wrt firmware on it. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation but most people will say F that after reading that page and just buy a new one lol. 

Was on the linksys page http://support.linksys.com/en-eu/support/routers/E2000 there is a firmware upgrade. Just make sure you do it wired to the router, never do that sort of thing wireless =)

Edited by CaveDweller2, 03 November 2013 - 04:27 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 kjm782

kjm782
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

I have a desktop computer (wired), another desktop (wireless) and a laptop (wireless) that all run Windows 7 64-bit.  I also have a computer running Linux (Ubuntu) that connects via wireless.  Just rebooting the router seems to temporarily fix the problem.

The router currently has the latest firmware from Linksys.  I looked into DD-WRT but like you said after reading that document I decided not to bother with it.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

I don't blame you, altho I promise it looks way more complicated than it is. Make sure you buy a new one from like Target or wal-mart just in case it doesn't solve your issue so you can take it back if needed.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2013 - 11:50 AM

I suggest that if You buy one You try and future proof by getting a fast router and dual band. I find that the 5Ghz band works best where I am. Of course to use the 5Ghz band You would probably need to replace the computers wireless. I do find that running a speedtest I get approximately four times the speed on the 5Ghz band vs the 2.4Ghz band FWIW.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 kjm782

kjm782
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:22 AM

For anyone that is having the same problem, I changed some settings that seems to have fixed it:

Wireless > Advanced Wireless Settings > Beacon Interval: 75
Wireless > Advanced Wireless Settings > Fragmentation Threshold: 2306
Wireless > Advanced Wireless Settings > RTS Threshold: 2307

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

Also, what does inSSIDer show for the number of Access Points around you?  You can download it from http://www.metageek.net.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users