Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network error causes monitor to turn off

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 c2p2009

c2p2009

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

Ok, we have recently been acquired by Time Warner Cable.

They sent a letter out saying starting Oct 31, 2013, they will be changing their DNS server settings, etc.. 

Well, starting this morning, my monitor keeps shutting off then turning back on..  I noticed every time it does this, i lose internet for about 5 sec after it comes back on then it's back to normal.. 

So, i open up Event Log and find the following-

Every time the monitor shuts off, I get an error in the log stating-

Name resolution couldn't load a DNS server that is associated with Time Warner Cable.

It brings up 2 different servers when looking through all the errors so far to come.

I scanned for infection and nothing found.

I do not know if i should call them and complain that they are interfering with my workstation or if that sounds stupid since i do not see the least possible capability that a network change keeps shutting off my monitor... 

I don't even believe it but it's happening..  How in the world is this possible?

Edited by hamluis, 03 November 2013 - 11:43 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

Bad hardware.  Your Network card would have nothing to do with it, unless it is causing the computer to error out, and shut down, due to it is bad.  How old is this computer?

#3 c2p2009

c2p2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

it's not shutting down.  I built it.. eh, 3yrs ago i believe.

The monitor just shuts off, orange light.. then comes back on normal. 

I thought the monitor was going out as that would make sense until i noticed every time it came back on, the lower right corner showed the internet reconnecting with my cable service.

Then i looked in the logs and sure enough, every time the monitor shut off, i lost the internet for about 5seconds.

Time Warner is also changing\updating their DSN servers as well as we got a notice about it in the mail.

So, i understand why the internet is intermittently reconnecting.. it's just taking my monitor with it.. 

As of right now, the intermittent loss if internet has stopped so i guess they are done updating and my monitor is also working fine, as to be expected..

I know they have nothing to do with each other.

Only thing i can think of is something on the motherboard has some sort of connection between the PCI express video card and the onboard Lan port.  Something is conflicting there....  But not in device manager so who knows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users