Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UEFI Problems.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:28 AM

UEFI is the new system now being fitted or installed in most new computers instead of the old BIOS. There is plenty of information about it on the net so will not go very much into that here other than it has been around now for several years.

I intend this to be a discussion thread regarding problems found with this system, and where a fix has been found for folks to say so.

As a case in point, of which a fix has yet to be found so any help offered will be grateful for it, however to first describe the situation.

I have recently bought a second hand Acer Aspire 5935 laptop which has Windows 7 Home Premium installed on a 320GB hard drive. I will add that either the previous owner, or the second hand shop had obviously used the full factory reset or restore disks as the the system when first started was as new, it required all Windows updates plus service pack one to bring it up to date. It works just fine with no problems, so long as it is on the original 320GB drive.

Here is where I met up with problems, I decided that the 320GB drive may soon get full, so wanting a bit more space I obtained a 500GB drive which is a Samsung Model ST500LM012. The original 320GB drive is a Hitachi HTS545032B9A300.

I first tried a full clone off the original drive onto the new drive using the possibly well known Macrium Reflect Free Imaging and cloning software, which I have previously had no problems with where the older BIOS systems have been involved, both cloning and imaging drives for swapping or replacement or just as a plain old backup.

The cloned system onto the new drive was no good at all, the laptop system didn't even recognise there was a drive it could use.

The system is, for information, the InsydeH20, which I at first assumed was BIOS, only to be informed by a Technician I know that indeed this system is UEFI.

So, considering I found the clone was of no use, I then created a system image which was stored on my external hard drive, also at the same time created the usual Macrium Reflect Free system rescue disk using the Windows PE environment.

I then tried to install the newly created image via the rescue disk and external hard drive, onto the 500GB drive. This at first seemed to have worked, however I quickly found out that important Windows files appeared to be missing, this was confirmed by running the good old SFC /SCANNOW, which reported corrupt files which couldn't be repaired.

Suspecting a badly or corrupted image may have been created, I replaced the original hard drive and made a fresh image, also this second time running the Macriums own verification of the image, yet on installing the new image to the new 500GB drive, the same problem of missing files.

So, considering I had created a completely new set of the Acer recovery disks to return the system back to factory condition, I tried them on the 500GB drive, to be told about two hours later that Windows could not be installed to this systems hardware.

It appears from information gained elsewhere, both on the net in general, and also friends with simial technical experience, the UEFI system security is partly to blame as it is refusing to accept a different make, model, or size of hard drive other than the original.

I leave this open for discussion, and as I said any useful information as to how I can get this 500GB drive to actually install and work correctly, I will be grateful.

Nev.

Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

Try this article might help:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc765951(v=WS.10).aspx

#3 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:40 AM

Thanks Roodo, looks a lot complicated, though that article is in reference to a totally different type of Windows image from the one I made.

Macrium Reflect do say that their pro version can handle image transfers to different hardware, The free version apparently not. I might just have to risk paying for the pro version and hope that does the job.

Nev.

Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

My take away from that article using a clone drive program is that the parameters have to
match exacly. I would then try a diskpart and try to mount the drive.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

If all you want to do is install Windows 7 and activate it with the existing product key, why don't you just install the operating system from the installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

The ISO image will need to be burned to a DVD in order to create a bootable installation disc.

1)  To burn a ISO file to a DVD please download ImgBurn and install it.

2)  Insert a blank DVD into your CD/DVD drive tray, and then close the tray.

3)  Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

4)  Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

5)  Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

6)  Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable DVD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS/UEFI so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Just make sure that the UEFI is set in UEFI mode, not UEFI of Legacy.

Edited by dc3, 06 November 2013 - 01:51 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users