Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't use recovery disks after formatting hard drive. Is hard drive hosed?.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 snoofy10

snoofy10

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:59 AM

My laptop got Trojan.Win32/Comame infection,  & screen went dark, fan running full speed.  Upon rebooting same thing happens, there are no beep codes, or any flashing light patterns on the keyboard. Removed affected HD & connected it to a healthy pc with cable, ran AV scan from MSE which found & deleted the infection but damage had already been done – the Library (My documents, My Pictures, etc.) is gone, and other folders seem to be empty.   With the affected HD still attached to healthy pc externally, I reformatted it’s main partition (but not the Hidden Partition).  Computer Mgmt shows this external drive as Disk 1 with:   1.46 GB Healthy Active Recovery Partition,  287 GB Healthy Partition,  & a 10 GB Healthy Partition.  I then disconnected the HD from cable and installed back into original laptop.  Was hoping I could then use Recovery disks, however that did NOT work.

I need ideas on what to do next .. ?   This is a Toshiba Satellite L655-S5116, model # PSK2LU-02900C, Windows 7 Hm Prem.  With a 320 GB HD.  Thanks for your help. :bubbles: 

Edited by hamluis, 03 November 2013 - 08:15 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

Hi, considering the hard drive can be accessed from your desktop, I doubt it is the hard drive at fault and suspect it may be something else.

However if you wish, a disk check can be performed while it is connected to the desktop. Have a look here for running disk check on an external drive :-

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/184611en

Providing the hard drive proves OK, next to look at would be the RAM module or modules (If more than one) If more than one, try it with only one module in and see if the restore disks will work then, (may be very slow with only one in) if no go, remove that one and try the other.

Just as a long shot, with the hard drive in, can you access the BIOS?

With Toshiba it is usually the F1 or ESC key at first power up. F12, may get you the page to change boot device, you may need to change boot device to CD/DVD drive to run the recovery disks any way.

If the BIOS opens up OK it isn't that.

Nev.

Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#3 snoofy10

snoofy10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:19 PM

Hi Nev,  Thank you for attempting to assist me with the very broad problem.  I did a disk check (only on the main largest partition, the recovery partition and the other 10 GB partition did not give me the option to check disk) and it came out fine.  I tinkered with the RAM and no improvement.  I even took similar RAM from another laptop and tried that, no change.

To answer your question, no I cannot access the BIOS.  The screen is dark.  But even holding the F1 or Esc key made no difference.  Don't know where to go from here.

Question:  Is it possible those smaller partitions on the hard drive are preventing the OS from loading and/or from accepting the Recovery disks?  Thanks again for helping me.

#4 RobinHoodSnr

RobinHoodSnr

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:21 AM

Hit F2 and see if you can enter the bios.

You could also try hitting F11 as soon as you hit the power-button...this "usually" takes you to your 10gig Recovery partition...

...We all know something...but we will NEVER know everything :grinner:

Cryptlocker "Process" remover...will NOT delete Cryptolocker, only the processes...( a "safety precaution" I took for those who still want to "try" paying the ransom to get their files back. DON'T FORGET TO MONITOR YOUR TIME LEFT BEFORE PAYMENT! )

("KillCrypt" will automaticly open %appdatadir%...just guide this to Cryptolocker-Virus and double-click on it. Remember...if you "restart" your system, the processes will be back...use this only for emergencies if you want to create a quick document. While this processes is killed, your docs wont get infected, but WILL be encrypted (unusable) when you restart the PC/Laptop OR clicking on the Virus again!!!)

#5 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

On newer Toshiba laptops, holding down the zero key while turning it on makes it start the recovery. You hold down the zero key, press the power button, and release the key once it starts the recovery. I think F2 enters BIOS setup.

However, since there is never anything on the screen, there is another problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users