Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gfxUI.exe Error

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 03 November 2013 - 01:29 AM

I keep getting this gfxUI.exe error since I reinstalled my graphics driver from the Intel website.

It happens on every startup and whenever I try to access the Intel Graphics Properties graphical interface through context menu and system tray, when I try to access it through the control panel, it doesn't do anything, just loads and nothing opens.

Although, I can open the Intel Graphics Properties graphical interface if I go into my System32 folder directly and run the gfxUI.exe file. So it is slightly weird, It seems all the shortcuts for accessing the Intel Graphics Properties graphical interface are corrupt.

I have reinstalled my graphics driver in the past plenty of times using the same download and no problems. I have tried reinstalling my graphics driver several times since this error. I tried completely uninstalling then installing.

I have searched all over trying to find a solution, I cannot. Has anyone else ever experienced an error like this?

Can anyone help with this problem?

GFXui_Error.jpg

Edited by Slim Nelson, 03 November 2013 - 01:35 AM.

Hulk_Tag.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:23 AM

The Intel website has a list of diagnostics to try.

One suggestion I can make would be to do a System Restore.  Choose a restore point prior to this problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

"You may not have the appropriate permission to access this item".

Is it possible that the User Profile has been corrupted? You might rule this out by creating Standard User Account or another Administrator Account making sure to have full permissions, eg, "Read & Execute", etc.

Reboot and log back in using newly created Administrator account.

Just a thought.

Good Luck

#4 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:07 PM

Sorry for the delay, been busy with some things.

As for the Intel Diagnostics, I went to the website and downloaded one but couldn't seem to get it to work... It would fail during extraction. I couldn't find any other ones too.

I did the oldest system restore point that my computer had and that didn't work.

The user account thing didn't work.

I think I might try reinstalling my graphics driver again...

Hulk_Tag.png

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

What kind of theming software you running, and are you running Vista with a patched uxtheme.dll file in order to run themes? If you are doing the latter, then please revert back the default uxtheme.dll file and see if you continue to have issues.

#6 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:45 PM

I am running Vista, but I did not patch the uxtheme.dll.

I used TuneUpUtilities' Visual Styler to apply the theme I am using and replaced the following system files with the ones that were supplied with the theme.

• explorer.exe
  • browseui.dll
  • timedate.cpl

And this was years ago when I did all this. This gfxUI.exe problem has just started happening within the past week or two.

Edited by Slim Nelson, 11 November 2013 - 07:46 PM.

Hulk_Tag.png

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:04 PM

I would remove the theme, and remove tune up utilities and see if the issue goes away

#8 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

I have had this theme installed through TuneUp Utilities for years before this problem happened though... Why would the theme and TuneUp Utilities be causing the problem?

Hulk_Tag.png

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

THere could have been software update with tuneup or intel drivers causing the issues.

#10 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:04 AM

Ok, I am strongly taking that into consideration.

But before I do that, I should mention I just remembered recently that the same day I updated my Intel driver, I was making a few changes in the registry. And before you palm your face and be like, this kid was asking for some problems, let me just say that I make changes often in the registry and am familiar with most of it, not saying I am a registry professional or anything though.

As for a backup, I always backup the keys that I am editing in case problems occur after the changes. Although, I didn't notice any problems after a week or so went by from my registry changes so I went ahead and deleted the backup.

So, if you would still like to help a guy out from his foolish mistake, I'd appreciate it.

I should start by saying all my registry edits that day were for Context Menu changes.

The registry keys that I was editing are the following:

• HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\Shell
  • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\ShellEx
  • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Shell
  • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\ShellEx
  • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFileSystemObjects\ShellEx
  • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ExeFile\Shell
  • HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ExeFile\ShellEx

I could have missed maybe one, if I did, I'm sure it's strictly context menu related.

And I guess the only thing I can ask for is if anyone knows of any website offering vista copies of these reg keys so I can examine and correct mine possibly.

I think that this is the reason for the gfxUI.exe error because it works if I try to access the Intel User Interface through the control panel but not through shortcuts such as context menu shortcut. All created webpage shortcuts no longer work also, including when a program that I have offers new updates and redirects to their website, an error occurs.

Edited by Slim Nelson, 17 November 2013 - 12:08 AM.

Hulk_Tag.png

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:12 AM

In that case, my only advice would be to re-install Windows Vista and do not change the registry unless you know what you are doing. I say this, because I killed a PCI Slot trying to manually remove a device from my computer. I had to re-install Windows to fix it.

You could try this as a last retort prior to making the change to the registry: http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-7-%7C-windows-vista-tutorials/3901-manually-restore-the-registry-from-its-backup-in-windows-windows-7-windows-vista.html.

#12 Slim Nelson

Slim Nelson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 223 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

Well I appreciate your advice.

Hulk_Tag.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users